Broken boiler but still charging..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I got a plumber round to change the pipes for 3 radiators to one. They aren't quite in the right place but luckily there is some give so at a stretch we can make it work when we install the radiator. He quoted to do this and install Hive for £160. Seemed like a nice guy until he broke the boiler installing the Hive and left us with no hot water or heating. He said he would come round on Sunday if someone had a part or Monday after his day job to try and fix it. I'm pregnant so a weekend with no hot water or heating wasn't really an option so we got British Gas round to fix it. He has since sent an invoice for the full amount. Are we being OTT to think that's a bit cheeky seeing as he didn't install the Hive and left us without a working boiler?.. how much do you think we should pay him?

Sponsored Links
What exactly did he do to " break the boiler " ? Before engaging BGas did you advise him of your intentions ,and give him the chance to resolve the issue sooner ,or did you just engage them and tell him not to come back ?

He didn't know what had gone wrong. He suspected it was the board but he didn't know so his solution was to try and replace it and see what happened. We didn't tell him as in the initial shock we said we'd wait until Monday evening but once he left we realised we were in the middle of insulating our floor so half of the floor boards were up and we were basically outside (!) And so waiting with no guarantee it would work wasn't really an option..

He said he couldn't come back earlier as the shop wouldn't be open until Monday morning and he had a job booked on Monday so would come after

Sponsored Links
They said there was something wrong with the BCD or PCD?.. he has offered to knock £60 off. Is £100 fair to pay for moving the pipes from 3 windows in a bay that can facilitate 1 radiator instead?

P C B = printed circuit board - kind of basic computer in boiler . Could have broken an electrical connection just moving it . £100 sounds ok to me given the circumstances you told us . Just my opinion

Many boiler pcb just stop working just by having the power turned off and is not down to anything the person has done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back