Broken cables in a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A customer asked a "tradesman" to drill a hole in a wall. Not his fault but he drilled through what I thing is part of the ring, It tripped the RCD.

I need to cut a hole in the plaster to sort it out. I am planning to use the inline Wagos. Is there a mainfree box that goes with that?

Sponsored Links
You can buy a wago box. Junction box for wago connectors?
Not my area..But.
Either replace that cable where it joins either end which is what I would do, or fit a box in the wall with a surface plate, then join inside box so it can be accessed.
If the work is for a customer you should really get an electrician, although I have repaired similar.
I've seen cables repaired with crimp on connectors then covered with silicone. Filled over. Bodge job though!

Bit bigger but if you can get it in use a hager j804, for lighting or a j803 if it is the ring, twin and earth can go in and back out the other side and the size of the connecter block will allow over 20 mm of the damaged copper core to be cut out

Sponsored Links
Saw a video the other day of the Quickwire QSP32. Can be used to extend cables where there is no slack to reach jbs etc
Hah, as someone who watches a lot of DIY on youtube, this came up in my suggested list! Looks ideal.

Otherwise, Wago 221 with the corresponding JB, all fits neatly inside.

When repairing or extending damaged cables, a lot depends on where the damage is and the proximity of electrical accessories.

Have you got any pictures of the damage and the wider area?

Thanks for all of the replies.

I should have added that it is plastered brick wall.

It looks like the A-hole electrician ran lighting cables (rather than the ring) at 30 degrees to the light switch.

I will post photos tomorrow.

I have only got about 25mm of plaster to play with.

The Quickwire QSP32 looks interesting. The Hager looks like it might be too big.

I guess other alternatives are the inline Wagos or crimps with a single gang plate stuck over the top- it will after all be hidden by the painting.

Advice thus far much appreciated.

Thanks

Solder is an acceptable method for joining cables which are to be buried.

Joints must be electrically and mechanically sound before soldering.

Most MF junction boxes I've seen seem to be designed to be fitted in a void rather than burried in plaster.

IMO the "best" fix would be to join the cable in the ceiling void, and re-run it from there. Running it correctly this time. I could see damage to decor being a problem with that approach though.

Is it legal to bury a wago box in plater(or Hager or quick wire?). Surely crimping and heat shrink?

Another option is cut in a 16mm metal box, with a thin marshall tufflex blank plate.
Inside use red through crimps.
For straight through joints i like the yellow IDEAL ones that have a permanent fit rather than the new wago ones with levers

Is it legal to bury a wago box in plater(or Hager or quick wire?). Surely crimping and heat shrink?

There is no legal in sparking. Only ignorant people talk about the regs using the words legal and illegal

It’s either compliant or not compliant with the regs

Non compliance is illegal otherwise why any regs at all.

I am considering crimps. I have adhesive heat shrinks. But if I do that and put a single gang faceplate over the top, I would rather not use heat shrink so that that it can be tested in the future.

Another option is cut in a 16mm metal box, with a thin marshall tufflex blank plate.
Inside use red through crimps.
For straight through joints i like the yellow IDEAL ones that have a permanent fit rather than the new wago ones with levers

I get what you are saying... but next to the cable is another cable.

They are about 6mm apart.

Again... sorry, I need to provide photos.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back