Broken earth wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While putting the socket back on the earth wire broke off one of the cables close to where it enters the metal box. Too much bending back and forth. What solutions do you guys have for this?

I can think of three

Leave it as its a ring circuit so there is still an earth connection from this socket going down the other leg

Try and put a chock block onto the end of the cable (I can pull it up abouta cm) and add another piece of earth to reach the socket terminal.

Lift floor boards and break into ceiling to replace cable to previous/next socket

The last is my least favourite options.

Sponsored Links
(1)Leave it as its a ring circuit so there is still an earth connection from this socket going down the other leg
(2)Try and put a chock block onto the end of the cable (I can pull it up abouta cm) and add another piece of earth to reach the socket terminal.
(3)Lift floor boards and break into ceiling to replace cable to previous/next socket
Option (1) is totally unacceptable and, as you presumably realise, your least favoiriute opion (#3) is the proper solution. If you can access enough of the wire to do it properly, (2) would probably be acceptable, as would extending the broken conuctor by crimping, if there were enough space to do that.

Kind Regards, John

You can try to gently pull for more slack.

Ideally you need to do the third option, but in the mean time you can use a connector block. If you remove the plastic coating around the connector block this will allow you a bit more room to get the connector block to meet the short bit of wire.

a two way wago might be easier to get on as a temporary solution, depending on how much cable there is

Sponsored Links
Leave it as its a ring circuit so there is still an earth connection from this socket going down the other leg
Not that one! It's a no no!
Try and put a chock block onto the end of the cable (I can pull it up abouta cm) and add another piece of earth to reach the socket terminal.
This will comply using a 20A or 32A connector block, if you have only about a 1cm then using a wago might be a little restrictive.
Remember to sleeve green and yellow.
Lift floor boards and break into ceiling to replace cable to previous/next socket
That is also acceptable, but more hassle!

or you could crimp it - using a proper racket crimper. That's what I'd do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back