Brown sleeves on switched live cable (lighting)

Sponsored Links
That's why I use a bit of yellow tape to indicate S/L. Works on both red and brown cables (I have a mixed installation).
Fair enough. If one has twin red or brown, it doesn't really matter what colour one uses - but, since we're used to seeing the S/L sleeved (when cable is standard T&E), I think it best to sleeve (or tape) the S/L (i.e. IMO, probably best not to use the EFLI method).

Of course, it's normally going to be ordinary T&E, so we're then stuck with brown (or red) sleeving.

Kind Regards, John

Although not very commonly used, twin brown (+E) or twin red (+E) leaves one not knowing which is the S/L.

Actually, here it is ALWAYS used. In fact it would probably be considered bad practice to use brown/blue even if it was sleeved. Also, twin brown often has different shades of brown to aid identification.

Sponsored Links
That's why I use a bit of yellow tape to indicate S/L.

Works on both red and brown cables (I have a mixed installation).

Would that not in fact indicate that it was L2 of a three-phase circuit in an installation in pre-harmonised colours?

Actually, here it is ALWAYS used. In fact it would probably be considered bad practice to use brown/blue even if it was sleeved.
Interesting. Although my experience is necessarily very limited, I have only very rarely come across twin brown (or twin red).
Also, twin brown often has different shades of brown to aid identification.
That's clever. I've never seen (or noticed that I've seen!) that - although I suppose it's of pretty limited usefulness in the absence of a convention which defines which shade means what! I'd therefore probably still oversleeve the S/L with more brown :)

Kind Regards, John

Right, in future

I shall sleeve the PL so that I know,

sleeve the SL so that John knows,

tape SL with yellow so that Owain knows and

write on it so that Iggifer knows.

If anyone seeing it is still confused they can read the writing.

It would seem Iggifer's is the only fool-proof method if you can see it.

What about a 'flag' of insulating tape with BIG writing? :)

That's why I use a bit of yellow tape to indicate S/L.

Works on both red and brown cables (I have a mixed installation).

Would that not in fact indicate that it was L2 of a three-phase circuit in an installation in pre-harmonised colours?

It might do, but it's a single phase installation.

I do need to tidy it up, I have old T&E, new T&E, old 3+E and new 3+e all coming together at various points. 3+e may be 2-way switching, L+SL+N, or smoke detector interlink.

Right, in future ... I shall sleeve the PL so that I know, ... sleeve the SL so that John knows, ... tape SL with yellow so that Owain knows and ... write on it so that Iggifer knows. ...
... or do as most people seem to do (i.e. nothing). Apart from brown-sleeved-brown or red-sleeved-red (for S/Ls) which I have installed myself, I don't think I've ever seen a twin brown or twin red with any sort of functional identification!

Kind Regards, John

I do need to tidy it up, I have old T&E, new T&E, old 3+E and new 3+e all coming together at various points. 3+e may be 2-way switching, L+SL+N, or smoke detector interlink.

I think that's fairly typical. Just pop a sticker on the CU and don't worry about it. It's not worth replacing cables purely based on their colour, and oversleeving only does so much

I did a job in London last year (2012) where the electrican did not put any sleeves on te switched live cable, and took off sleeves where they were on, when I asked him why he said that the regs had changed and that the sleeves were not required on new installations.

Today (Nov 2013) I have had an electrician in, and he included in the quote brown sleeves for the switched live cables both in the light point and in the socket. I told him about the other electrician, and he said that the rules had never changed, sleeves are mandatory.

Who is right and who is wrong? If the job gets inspected I assume it will be the electrician who gets in problems, but I still get hassle for getting in the 'wrong' guy. Question is, who is the 'wrong guy', or are they both right????

Who would actually include in their quote "sleeve non brown lives". And sockets? Odd.

Twin brown I have seen has one core brown right through, the other a greyish white, with a brown top coat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back