Brown sleeves on switched live cable (lighting)

No, it wouldn't. :D 3 core and earth brown+brown+brown would be very easy to determine which core is which. ... The flat cable's structure would be brown, brown, earth, brown - so you would always be able to tell the wires apart. :D
Good point - I hadn't thought of that! I wonder if anyone actually makes it (probably not that much smaller a market than brown+brown, I would have thought)?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I feel this has got a bit out of hand.

Marking the conductors of the same colour is no more than 'making notes' for future reference - i.e after tea.
There could be quite a few in a multi-gang, multi-two-way circuit light switch box.

The grey sheaths may also be identified if there are several cables.

I feel this has got a bit out of hand. ... Marking the conductors of the same colour is no more than 'making notes' for future reference - i.e after tea.
That's probably true, but I thought you said that, nevertheless, you do it ....
Ah, that's interesting. I do the opposite, i.e. to identify the permanent live - my logic being it is 'liver' than the other.
Sure, but I imagine that most of us do that (with a marker pen or whatever), don't we?

Kind Regards, John

No, it wouldn't. :D 3 core and earth brown+brown+brown would be very easy to determine which core is which. ... The flat cable's structure would be brown, brown, earth, brown - so you would always be able to tell the wires apart. :D
Good point - I hadn't thought of that! I wonder if anyone actually makes it (probably not that much smaller a market than brown+brown, I would have thought)?

Kind Regards, John

Then you could have brown+brown+blue 3 core and earth cables for timed extractor fans...

Sponsored Links
I wonder if anyone actually makes it (probably not that much smaller a market than brown+brown, I would have thought)?
Then you could have brown+brown+blue 3 core and earth cables for timed extractor fans...
One could, indeed - but I suspect that market probably would be too small for it to be cost-effective.

Kind Regards, John

I feel this has got a bit out of hand. ... Marking the conductors of the same colour is no more than 'making notes' for future reference - i.e after tea.
That's probably true, but I thought you said that, nevertheless, you do it ....
Isn't that the point?
Bas said it shouldn't be done.

Ah, that's interesting. I do the opposite, i.e. to identify the permanent live - my logic being it is 'liver' than the other.
It doesn't matter as long as I know.

Sure, but I imagine that most of us do that (with a marker pen or whatever), don't we?
It doesn't matter how it's done.

If I leave a diagram nicely printed with all the permanent lives identified and connected to L2 and the brown strapper I think it would be unacceptable if some of them (no one else would know which) were connected to L3 and the grey strapper.

Isn't that the point? ... Bas said it shouldn't be done.
Apologies - I thought you were responding to my comments (suggesting that they were 'getting out of hand'), not BAS's, and didn't realise that you were actually agreeing with me. Apologies - blame Friday night :)

Kind Regards, John

Cable markers and a wiring diagram left with the client can remove all doubts

http://www.partex.co.uk/marker.html

3M do a range of aphanumerics

Using slide on letters (as well as approriate sleeve) all conductors can be clearly identified as SL L N and two way L1 L2 CM etc etc This is extra work during the first fix but it makes the connecting up a lot less hassle and fault finding is much easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back