Brown sleeves on switched live cable (lighting)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did a job in London last year (2012) where the electrican did not put any sleeves on te switched live cable, and took off sleeves where they were on, when I asked him why he said that the regs had changed and that the sleeves were not required on new installations.

Today (Nov 2013) I have had an electrician in, and he included in the quote brown sleeves for the switched live cables both in the light point and in the socket. I told him about the other electrician, and he said that the rules had never changed, sleeves are mandatory.

Who is right and who is wrong? If the job gets inspected I assume it will be the electrician who gets in problems, but I still get hassle for getting in the 'wrong' guy. Question is, who is the 'wrong guy', or are they both right????

Sponsored Links
Where do 'ideas' like this start?

Even if the fist 'person' was correct, why would he purposely remove them?

Where do 'ideas' like this start? Even if the fist 'person' was correct, why would he purposely remove them?
Goodness only knows! Maybe he not only 'thought' that sleeving was no longer required, but also that it was now actually 'not allowed'?!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Just out of curiosity, is it in the regulations and mandatory or good practice/guidance? :confused:

I think I must follow the first guy around, rarely find the switch lives sleeved.
But the regs state that the conductors must be identified and that didn't change in 2012!

It's in the regs that they be identified! It's BS though, so if you like to call it guidance you can.
It would probably be of more practical value if the regs insisted not only on the 'identifcation' of L, N andf E conductors, but also 'functional identification'. Although not very commonly used, twin brown (+E) or twin red (+E) leaves one not knowing which is the S/L. On the rare occasions I've had to deal with it, I've actually put a small bit of brown (or red) sleeving over the brown (or red) S/L, to 'identify' it as such'.

Kind Regards, John

Although not very commonly used, twin brown (+E) or twin red (+E) leaves one not knowing which is the S/L. On the rare occasions I've had to deal with it, I've actually put a small bit of brown (or red) sleeving over the brown (or red) S/L, to 'identify' it as such'.
Ah, that's interesting.

I do the opposite, i.e. to identify the permanent live - my logic being it is 'liver' than the other.

Although not very commonly used, twin brown (+E) or twin red (+E) leaves one not knowing which is the S/L. On the rare occasions I've had to deal with it, I've actually put a small bit of brown (or red) sleeving over the brown (or red) S/L, to 'identify' it as such'.
Ah, that's interesting.

I do the opposite, i.e. to identify the permanent live - my logic being it is 'liver' than the other.

That would confuse me as I would automatically see the sleeving as indicating a S/L.

Fair enough.

I was talking about in the switch just for information.

Of course at the rose where I have now realised it was being mentioned it would be as you say.
I'll get me coat.

Ah, that's interesting. I do the opposite, i.e. to identify the permanent live - my logic being it is 'liver' than the other.
That certainly would be more logical, were it not for the fact that (as Johnmelad has said) we are used to seeing brown/red sleeving (usually over blue or black) to indicate S/L.

Kind Regards, John

That's why I use a bit of yellow tape to indicate S/L.

Works on both red and brown cables (I have a mixed installation).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back