BT Full Fibre Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I can upgrade to full fibre from BT but have a few questions that I hope some members in this community can help with on pre-installation questions please.

I would like to keep the location of the master socket where it is, which is under the stairs in the middle of the house because this is where all the Cat6 connections run from.

BT engineers put in a new run approx 7 years ago and installed a new box on the outside of the property and ran a cable along the outside and then under the suspended floor and came up in the middle of the house where the master socket is, which they also replaced.

Could I keep this existing setup, as this is a central location in the house do offers good Wi-Fi across the property plus it’s where our Cat connections start from and go around the house to sockets in various rooms.

Hope this makes sense ?

Many thanks
Lauren

E5650854-B642-49B0-9B7F-80EEAD5B0E6D.jpeg

CE5A16CE-32F3-49A1-BE6D-2097698FA30E.jpeg

4D5711E0-830E-450F-BD15-CBCB50428F8E.jpeg

Sponsored Links
No sorry, that’s what I’m trying to find out.

What cables would need to change? And could the master socket remain where it is as the cable to it runs under the suspended floor

Tell them that you want your new fibre cable to be terminated next to or near your old BT master socket.
Then your new fibre modem will be in correct place to join into your ethernet network.

.... Above written before your response....

You will have an issue then as you will have a new cable (fibre) installed and your comments suggest that it will not be able to be put under the floor. It normally terminated on the inside of an external wall.

Sponsored Links
It could go under the suspended floor as BT did that last time. My master socket is in the middle of my house under the stairs, just want to know if this would need to be moved?

I have just had ff installed. Fibre to new outside box, fibre run to new small box. New small box needs twin socket power supply. One for the new small box and one for the router. Fibre doesnt like tight bends. I had it installed then ran a cat6 cable to enable router to be moved once openreach had gone.

dont forget with full fibre your house phone or services requiring a landline wont work if you have a power cut things like emergency buttons or medical monitoring equipment ??

offers good Wi-Fi across the property plus it’s where our Cat connections start from
You could put commercial grade wifi units on the end of some of those cat 6 connections and the wifi ceases to be a factor in router location

You could also run Ethernet from where the router is sited, to the cupboard and switch in there, so that the router and fibre TE can be sited somewhere appropriate for getting that rats nest of wiring out of the hallway?

As mentioned above, the fibre outside is protected by a stiff plastic tube. It won't bend around sharp corners. But inside you can run an ethernet cable to wherever you want to put the modem/router.

How does BT run fibre cable to property ? Virgin did at least bury their cable alongside the drive even if it was only 6ins deep.

dont forget with full fibre your house phone or services requiring a landline wont work if you have a power cut things like emergency buttons or medical monitoring equipment ??
They're changing to VOIP anyway, and all those things you mention will soon be mooted as BT withdraws the copper network.

How does BT run fibre cable to property ? Virgin did at least bury their cable alongside the drive even if it was only 6ins deep.
This article https://www.dalycom.com/blog/what-d...s-switch-off-mean-and-why-is-the-uk-doing-it/ claims properties served by overhead line will have an overhead fibre installed but my last conversation with a Bt engineer left me with the impression that overhead lines were being removed and done away with by some unbelievably ambitious target year

Last edited:
They're changing to VOIP anyway, and all those things you mention will soon be mooted as BT withdraws the copper network.

This article https://www.dalycom.com/blog/what-d...s-switch-off-mean-and-why-is-the-uk-doing-it/ claims properties served by overhead line will have an overhead fibre installed but my last conversation with a Bt engineer left me with the impression that overhead lines were being removed and done away with by some unbelievably ambitious target year
OR is still installing overhead fibre all round here...(S London), in competition with Community Fibre

if you can provide a conduit 20mm will do from the inside where you want the ONT to outside near the old box then OR will usually be happy to use that(saves them work) Does your existing cable run in a duct across the garden or is it just buried. ? If ducted and clear then OR will use that or will bring the new cable overhead then down to ground level to a CSP (junc box)
dont forget that with fibre and VOIP the existing box outside will be redundant

I cant see that overhead connections of fibre will be replaced underground anytime soon as the work and costs would be astranomical. EG my five neighbours all have overhead cables and two of those would involve crossing a road to get to them and the other three would involved long trenches across gardens mine included (which isnt going to happen!!!!) My cable comes underground in a duct I put in as I was quite happy to run MY cable under MY lawn.

Mine was installed earlier this year and is run overhead as are all the installations in our road.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back