Buddingapprentice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys/gals just after a bit of information on doing a apprenticeship. I will be finishing school next summer and expect to do well in my exams and was thinking of going to uni but looking at it now it does not seem worth getting a degree loaded with debt and struggling to get employment so I am now going down the lines of going on a appreticeship poss within the construction sector . The info I am after is what would be the best trade to go at where they are more in demand and less likely to get laid off if we hit another recession and what are the good/bad firms to work for, any help/hints/pointers would be more than welcome.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't you be better of thinking about where your interests and talents lie?

You can't do any job well without interest.

I was thinking more towards the electrical side of poss gas fitter but would not want to go down this road if there over supply , that why I asked what is more likely to be in demand

I'm sure Joe will agree that a GOOD plasterer will always be in demand and will earn a good living. :D

Sponsored Links
Go into anything within the building trade, you will never be stuck for money :LOL:

I once went for a job in a candle factory but I had to leave as the job was getting on my wick! :LOL:

I was thinking more towards the electrical side of poss gas fitter but would not want to go down this road if there over supply , that why I asked what is more likely to be in demand
My thinking is, if money is tight or due to recession then we all need hot water/heating and boiler problems sorting out first. Having said this then you may find plumbers undercutting each others(?)

I once went for a job in a glue factory too but.............................................I couldn't stick it! :LOL:

Wouldn't you be better of thinking about where your interests and talents lie?

You can't do any job well without interest.
I agree with Joe 100%. Look at what you WANT and/or would LIKE to do. It could be argued that ANY trade is saturated. If you really want to work with your hands and fix/fit things then you're right in thinking that Plumbing and/or Electrical work is the way to go (in the building trade). However, if you're bright and enjoy thinking about how stuff works etc then you may want to consider becoming an Engineer. That will open up a few avenues to you.

Look at yourself and think about what you would enjoy doing. You're working for a LONG time (hopefully anyway!).

Considering you have had the foresight to research what your options are, I have a feeling you'll do well in whatever your chosen career may be. Good luck young Sir/Madam (you don't say which sorry!).

I had a job in quality control at the factory where they made M & Ms. They sacked me for no other reason that I rejected all of the Ws.

How stupid was that?

Seriously, what is most important to you; money, job satisfaction or job security. Very few careers will give you both.

I think I might try moving into a job that would benefit from my mathamatical/spelling skills. :LOL:

Thanks for the replies, and yes I do like to work with my hands and dont fancy sitting behind a desk all day and I would like to work on sites ..as I said maybe a electrician but I was just trying to broaden my options but i will try for apprentice electrician. I will be applying to all the major building companys after I finish my qualifications but as they will be flooded with applicants is there anything I can do to give me a head start.
Thank you--Tom

Thanks for the replies, and yes I do like to work with my hands and dont fancy sitting behind a desk all day and I would like to work on sites ..as I said maybe a electrician but I was just trying to broaden my options but i will try for apprentice electrician. I will be applying to all the major building companys after I finish my qualifications but as they will be flooded with applicants is there anything I can do to give me a head start.
Thank you--Tom
You could try and get some work experience with a local Spark. Working as a labourer to gain experience. Write to as many as you can. Someone might give you a chance. The only issue with that might be 'Insurance' depending on your age.

Might be worth going into the local colleges (the ones offering Electrical Courses for Apprentices), and asking about the course, if they can recommend any employers that recruit, anything really. Keep a log of everyone you've written to and everything you've done to gain knowledge and experience. It may all come in useful to show your enthusiasm and commitment to your chosen career. As you point out, competition WILL be tough and anything you can do to gain an edge at the recruitment stage is an investment in your future.

Also, have you looked at the NICEIC website? http://www.niceic.com/training/electrical

Hello guys/gals just after a bit of information on doing a apprenticeship. I will be finishing school next summer and expect to do well in my exams and was thinking of going to uni but looking at it now it does not seem worth getting a degree loaded with debt and struggling to get employment so I am now going down the lines of going on a appreticeship poss within the construction sector Thank you
Forget Plumbing/ Gas - please don`t do it :!: it`s dying on it`s feet . You`re 30- 40 years too late :eek: I`ve been , done and got the T shirt, luckily retired now . Seriously, do Electrical engineering @ the highest level of complexity that you are capable of . And get studying the basics/ history of electronics :idea: . (I` m doing that kind of thing as a hobby now )It might just impress a potential employer if you happen to know how a thermionic valve works ;) because computers wouldn`t exist without all the years of development that preceded the silicon chip. The very best of luck to you.

Debt Collecting!
Lets face it when the recession hits, it's the building trade that gets it and all trades struggle.
Or you could consider flood repairs, seeing all those new builds on flood plains, global warming, British weather, must be a mint in it?

Sponsored Links
Back