Build up floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an attached garage that I want to convert part of into a utility room. The garage floor is 170mm lower than the rest of the ground floor and I need to build this up level.

The garage was a 2008 extension before we bought the house so it's already insulated and has a DPM.

Would if be possible to build up the floor on 150mm joists sat on the existing concrete and 18mm ply/chipboard?

Many thanks

Alan

Sponsored Links
What leads you to believe it is insulated?

A typical floor spec like this would be to lay 100mm celotex insulation then apply a 70mm screed.

You can go with timber and ply/chipboard if you wish but you will have the added headache of venting the floor void.

We've got the original passed plans from building regs showing the make up. Obviously that assumes that is what actually happens but you can see evidence of DPM at door opening do fairly confident.

Noted regarding vent - this should be easy to achieve as there are two exposed internal wall sections that could be vented into but noted re celotex and screed option.

Thanks

You can go with timber and ply/chipboard if you wish but you will have the added headache of venting the floor void.

But if the void is filled with insulation...there is then no airspace where condensation/damp can build up... and no need to ventilate it?

Sponsored Links
According to me, you will not be having any problem converting garage into utility room. I guess you should go ahead with this modification without any worry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back