Builder didn't add cavity tray.. How to rectify?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Getting an extension built and I noticed that the builder/ bricklayer didn't add a cavity tray

They simple installed the lintel and built up the wall above (see attached images). What I want to know is what is the best way to rectify this issue?

The first image shows the opening for the patio door. The second image is an opening for a window.

I am looking for a good solution, which would be the least disruptive (if possible).

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    2 MB · Views: 206
  • 2.png
    2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 207
Sponsored Links
I say this not knowing exactly what cavity tray does - but if you need it then:

While it is at this stage, remove the bricks above and redo it with the cavity tray.
Don't mess about with half assed unsuitable resolutions - do it properly.

He'll probably be OK as you say, however waterproofing costs a few £s to fit first time round but £800 or something to rectify if there is a problem. Why should the homeowner take that risk?

Sponsored Links
I say this not knowing exactly what cavity tray does - but if you need it then:

While it is at this stage, remove the bricks above and redo it with the cavity tray.
Don't mess about with half assed unsuitable resolutions - do it properly.
Great shout..

If the job is done poorly the first time, you will pay later on..

He'll probably be OK as you say, however waterproofing costs a few £s to fit first time round but £800 or something to rectify if there is a problem. Why should the homeowner take that risk?
Agreed

Thanks for the help guys.

Getting an extension built and I noticed that the builder/ bricklayer didn't add a cavity tray.
Looks to me like you have a standard Catnic CN/ lintel coupled with Dritherm insulation. Any wind driven rain eventually percolating through, with be deflected back down the cavity along with the rest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back