Building a conservatory on decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Last year we had a new deck fitted using Ipe Wood. The deck is fitted onto a solid wooden frame that is concreted in.

We are now thinking about having a conservatory fitted but really don't want to have the deck ripped up. Would we be able to have the conservatory fitted onto the decking?

I have seen a few FAQ's on a couple of sites stating that it is possible but wondered if anyone had attempted this?

Cheers

Russ

Sponsored Links
Might be a little chilly in the winter?
And damp, water running in from outside under the decking will get trapped in the conservatory.
Just take the decking up and reuse it somewhere else.

Sponsored Links
yes, your right :)

I was just hoping that someone had a miracle solution.

We are in the age old situation, would like more space and don't know whether to move or extend.

If we extend (or add a conservatory) it means ripping out parts of the building that are only a couple of years old and that took a great deal of effort and cost a fair few £££.

Many thanks

Russ

If the decking is sound you can build off it no problem. But don't underestimate the weight of the conservatory and all that glass, and you will have to check that the posts really are in the ground adequately and not liable to sink

You will need to put some sort of barrier on the deck to keep moisture and draughts out, but more likely you will need an insulated floor above the deck, and a step out onto the deck

you would be wise to check the planning permission as well as some but not all conservatories will require it

ok go ahead and build it on the deck, jus dont come back when (after quite some time) the deck colapses.

You really do know what the right thing to do is, you just dont want to do it

no i meant I dont know if we should just move or try and make more space here.

I won't be building on the deck :)

A conservatory can only be used for a few months of the year. Do not think by adding a radiator you can use it all year round.
The heat goes both ways through all that glass.

Pete

are they really that cold in the winter with a rad fitted?
Yes; they are little more thermally efficient than your average garden shed!

I have a well planned, modern cons, (2 years) it has insulated cavity walls, under floor heating & the floor, roof & glazing have the highest insulations standards possible with a structure of this type but we don’t use it October through March except on odd days. The heating system we have is more than adequate to keep it cosy but you can almost see the £££ it’s costing in fuel bills evaporating out through all that glass & the roof is even worse. If you want a room you can use all year round, build an extension or a garden room with a properly insulated roof; but you will (probably) need Planning permission & certainly Building Regs. for that. & any heating system you put in a cons must be independently controlled to comply with Building Regs. (but it's not difficult).

most of the heat is lost through the roof - why not go for a garden room, benefit of the natural light by having a lot of glazing but have a traditional roof construction that it well insulated - you may have to get planning permission for this - but much more usable, as long at you heat it

Ours is not used from Oct - March. We do use it as a 'function room' though, for kids parties and the like. In these instances we run a fan heater for a while.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back