Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I am looking at building a timber lean to veranda / patio cover down the side of my house and was hoping that I could get a bit of advice on how to do it.

The span is going to be roughly 2.7m wide by 6m long with a roof at 15 degrees. The whole thing will be painted with Ronseal one-coat.

Wood is going to be:

- 4x Fence Post Legs - 4"x4"
- Wall support screwed to the brick - 2"x8"
- End support (across legs)- 2"x6"
- Rafters & Noggins 2"x4"

I just had a couple of questions such as:

Is C16 timber sufficient or should I use C24?
How far apart should the rafters be spaced?

I am using this video as a basic guide:

Thank you very much in advance.

Sponsored Links
C24 is a better product, less defects and hopefully less chance of warping.

I'd set rafters at 600 centres if roof is lightweight, you don't mention what you're using as the roof.

How are you attaching rafters to wall mounted timber?

Thanks for the reply!

Rafters will be attached to wall mounted timber with galvanised truss hangers.

I was thinking of going with corrugated pvc - looking at which I will need fewer rafters and more purlins. The confusion grows

Sponsored Links
I'll add to your confusion. If you are going to paint it, have you considered using a pre-painted aluminium roofing system? or at least aluminium glazing bars?

Disadvantage is going to be cost - it'll cost you a fair bit more than timber.
advantage is really smart pre-painted aluminium. Easy to use multiwall polycarb,

Have a look here https://www.clearamber.com/browse/tc-ALUKAP_SS-212/

I have recently used the alukap system to build a patio roof. The rafters fit on to aluminium eaves and wall beams - it's a great system. I purchased from here where prices were good and staff helpful https://www.trulypvc.com/roof-systems/self-supporting/alukap-ss

The sections are easy to cut with a chop saw with a correct blade (and good eye protection) and it all bolts and screws together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back