building regs, is an architect compolsory?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im currently waiting for planning approval to build a large timber frame workshop at the top of my drive way. I sketched the plans myself and submitted them to my planning dept. with no problems.

I am now told that i will need building regs ( i knew that) but they will want architect drawings with calculations, but what calculations will they want?

Surely the building inspector should know if i'm building it correctly without expensive architect drawings? after all, the foundations will be readymix concrete, so should comply, the timber frame will be 6 x2 inch timbers at 400mm centers, with 11mm osb board and 9 x 6 inch timber window/door lintels, surely these measurements are tried and tested without the need for calculations.

And as for the roof, it will be prefab attic trusses which WILL be supplied with loading calculations by the manufacturer.

So is it COMPULSORY to have an architect? Or will they be lenient considering i'm building a workshop/shed type of building apposed to a house to live in?

Sponsored Links
You have been given the usual nonsense by Building Control. You do not need an architect to draw plans - you do not even need plans.

Ask them about the Building Notice proceedure, whereby you build the thing, the inspector checks it at agreed stages, and that's that.

Yes it sounds like the building notice is for you.

But bear in mind it is a checking function and not a specifying function. You build it, they check it. If it's wrong you change it.

You have been given the usual nonsense by Building Control. You do not need an architect to draw plans - you do not even need plans.

Ask them about the Building Notice proceedure, whereby you build the thing, the inspector checks it at agreed stages, and that's that.

This is most interesting to know!!!! I am new to the property market and have no experience with planning departments and the like.

Basically I have a shack in my garden which I intend to use for friends and family to stay in with the odd holiday let.

I want to put a kitchen and bathroom into it and restore it to modern day standards.

Providing I follow the rules on construction, Would the building notice
procedure apply to this too without the need for complicated plans???

Sponsored Links
After all, the foundations will be readymix concrete, so should comply, the timber frame will be 6 x2 inch timbers at 400mm centers, with 11mm osb board and 9 x 6 inch timber window/door lintels, surely these measurements are tried and tested without the need for calculations.

And as for the roof, it will be prefab attic trusses which WILL be supplied with loading calculations by the manufacturer.
Wouldn't fall down in a hurricane...

This is most interesting to know!!!! I am new to the property market and have no experience with planning departments and the like.

Basically I have a shack in my garden which I intend to use for friends and family to stay in with the odd holiday let.

I want to put a kitchen and bathroom into it and restore it to modern day standards.

Providing I follow the rules on construction, Would the building notice
procedure apply to this too without the need for complicated plans???

Very very kee to get an anwser to this please planning gods!

You will need full planning permission for this as you'd be creating a new self-contained dwelling.

You will also need to comply fully with all current building regulations.

Finally the new dwelling may be separately rated for council tax.

You may wish to reconsider and have a games room with a sofabed that is an adjunct to the main house and not self-contained.

the foundations will be readymix concrete, so should comply,
How deep ? What type of ground ? clay, chalk etc. etc.

the timber frame will be 6 x2 inch timbers at 400mm centers, with 11mm osb board and 9 x 6 inch timber window/door lintels, surely these measurements are tried and tested without the need for calculations.
The size of the walls exposed to prevailing wind has to be taken into account when determining where internal walls are need to prevent the slab side walls being distorted by the pressure of wind on the building.

How eill they be fixed to the walls ? Weight loading on the supporting walls ? Wind loading both horizontal and vertical have to be taken into account when designing the wall structure.

So is it COMPULSORY to have an architect? Or will they be lenient considering i'm building a workshop/shed type of building apposed to a house to live in?
No compulsory but you do need to provide calculations for the building as a whole. A structural engineer experienced in timber construction could provide the calculations.
You have admitted it could be used as holiday let. It therefore has to be compliant as a stand alone residential building. You will need professional advice in the construction.

the foundations will be readymix concrete, so should comply,
How deep ? What type of ground ? clay, chalk etc. etc.
You would hope that the BCO would be able to give guidance on the depth and width of foundations - they will know the local conditions and would not expect a full site investigation for such a structure.

the timber frame will be 6 x2 inch timbers at 400mm centers, with 11mm osb board and 9 x 6 inch timber window/door lintels, surely these measurements are tried and tested without the need for calculations.
The size of the walls exposed to prevailing wind has to be taken into account when determining where internal walls are need to prevent the slab side walls being distorted by the pressure of wind on the building.
Trust me, a hurricane wouldn't blow it down - I've done four storey timber buildings with smaller members.

How will they be fixed to the walls ? Weight loading on the supporting walls ? Wind loading both horizontal and vertical have to be taken into account when designing the wall structure.
The detailing for connections between roof and wall should be supplied by the truss manufacturer

You have admitted it could be used as holiday let.
That wasn't the OP...

I am the OP.
So do you think i would be allowed to go down the building notice route apposed to a full plan procedure?

This building will be built from scratch and is 14 x 7 meters floor area.
Do you think building notice, where the bco calls out to check every stage would be accepted?

I'm building a workshop, not a house if that might make the building regs more lenient.

Many workshops are just tin sheds (although i want mine fully insulated) do people who erect tin sheds also get the building regs hype?

I contacted BR via email, and today they replied as follows:

Further to your earlier e mail, as the proposed is for a workshop a full plans application will be required, this will entail a completed application form, detailed drawing and specification of works along with site/location plans. The plan fee is £181.00 Inc VAT. The inspection fee will be invoiced at commencement of works, the fee being £424.00 Inc VAT. If you require any further information, please contact myself on the numbers below.

So given what BR require , could i produce my own specification?
Just how much detail do they need when they ask for a "detailed drawing"? and why are they asking £181 as a separate charge for a plan fee? after all its me supplying them with the plan not them supplying me!

So now that its confirmed that they want full detailed plans, is an architect compulsory or could i give them a bare minimum created by myself?
[/i]

Plan [checking] fee, site inspection fee.

You need to give as much information as is required to show that what you propose to build complies with the building regulations which may apply to whatever you are building and how it will be used.

You might struggle to provide the bare minimum if you don't know what that is. And no-one here will know it either.

An architect is not compulsory.

However the plans have to be sufficiently detailed to show full construction methods and demonstrate compliance with building regs.

For example, you can't just say 'readymix concrete'. You need to specify your mix to the relevant BS and Eurocodes, you may need to specify whether the mix is to be modified for agressive ground conditions (so you may need a soil analysis) etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back