Building Regs on Garage already built

B

bengee1977

Hi all,

I've been living in my end-terraced house for 4 years, and it has a garage built at the bottom of the garden. This was built by the previous occupant himself. When i bought the house and had the land searches done, the records did not show this garage on the any plans. At the time, my solicitor advised me that i could get it checked out properly for building regs if i wanted, but this would delay the purchase. So i decided to keep it hush-hush :eek:

I plan on selling up in 2 or 3 years, and would like to get it put "on the record" officially to avoid any problems selling to potential buyers. I have messured the floor space and it's approx 35 sq/m (i've read somewhere that the limit for a detached garage is 30 sq/m).

Some questions:

1) Is it possible to now get it checked out by building regs and any records updated?

2) If they find something wrong with it, could they get me to knock it down?

3) How much would these checks cost me?

After speaking to the next door neighbours (they knew the previous occupant and it was built a couple of years before i moved in, so..) it's now been standing there for 6 or so years. It's not possible for me to speak to previous occupant because the house was repossed by the bank and i bought it from them.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

Sponsored Links
wow thats one big garage 17foot ish by 23 foot ish :LOL: :LOL: ;)

the only advice i can offer is

in a lot of places i believe theres a "ten year rule"which means if no one complains within 10 years it can stay

so try and find exactly when it was built ;)

good luck

bengee1977 said:
Is it possible to now get it checked out by building regs and any records updated?
Yes, pop down to your local BCO for their free easy to read planning/building regs book
If they find something wrong with it, could they get me to knock it down?
Very unlikely.
How much would these checks cost me?
Nothing ;)

30 sq/m is the maximum permissable area of a build before PLANNING PERMISSION is required.

Sponsored Links
noseall said:
30 sq/m is the maximum permissable area of a build before PLANNING PERMISSION is required.
& even if the garage is less than 30sq/m any lighting, power or water installation is still subject to BC & should be compliant with the regs in force at the time it was built.

My local authority raised objections to the garage I was proposing to build in our large front garden as part of renovation/upgrading work, even though I had specifically kept it to under 30sq/m. To get early approval on the other work, I deleted the garage but I will be revisiting this in due course.

after 4 yr its legal. but they can make you remove it if its not upto standard within 12 yr.ask at your local town hall.dont give address until you have investigated fully.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back