building regs/smoke alarms

I have given an anonymous call to BC that they may need to investigate.

Hardly anonymous now!

With regards to returning I decided against it.

Very wise.

I know it's not required by the regulations but no capping has been used and the customer is concreting the chases himself.

Are you concerned about the lack of capping or the use of concrete over PVC cabling?

And with the other electrician not being bothered to chase for a 3core and earth to control the hall light via a 2 way (he's talked the customer into having a time lag switch).

unbelievable.

Sponsored Links
I have given an anonymous call to BC that they may need to investigate.

Hardly anonymous now!

With regards to returning I decided against it.

Very wise.

I know it's not required by the regulations but no capping has been used and the customer is concreting the chases himself.

Are you concerned about the lack of capping or the use of concrete over PVC cabling?

And with the other electrician not being bothered to chase for a 3core and earth to control the hall light via a 2 way (he's talked the customer into having a time lag switch).

unbelievable.

I was worried as there is no protection against the non plasterers trowel damaging the cable and that I am aware that cement can have a detrimental impact on PVC insulation!

Concrete? Or Cement? :confused:

It's the cement that causes the reaction with the PVC. Concrete/mortar is a mix of cement, water and sand and in this mix it can be used as render and can be used to fill chases (like what the customer is doing in this situation)! Here's a link to help you understand the difference between the 2; http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_cement_and_concrete

What you need to understand is that cement is the dried material before you mix it up to make concrete/mortar! The only difference between concrete and mortar seems to be the type of sand that is used in the mix ;)

Sponsored Links
I'm working with an approved electrician at the moment on a rewire of a large 3/4 bed Victorian terrace. He has designed (nothing on paper) the installation and I am basically just helping out with the install. I'm having a bit of a disagreement in regards to installation of the smoke alarms. I have suggested that we should install them on all floors including the basement (which is to be used as a workshop/storage), and in the attic as it has been converted into a habitable space, even though the customer is saying that he will not use it as a bedroom. The approved electrician is saying that there is no need to fit any in the basement or the attic space.

Could someone confirm that what the approved electrician is proposing is against building regulations and possibly provide a link please. It is my understanding that it is a breach of building regs and feel uncomfortable putting my name to a rewire that does not comply.

if you are the unqualified helper you wont be putting your name on anything,

I do understand thats why i was asking you as there is a difference as you have discovered. ;)

now I have found out that he hasn't bothered [to notify LABC] as the customer did not want to foot the bill. He is not a member of a approved scheme and don't know where I stand as this job should most definitely be notified!

Walk away from it. The risks of litigation or financial loss if ( or rather when ) something goes wrong are very high. If building control get involved then the "electrician" may dis-appear and with him dis-appears any money he owes you for work you have done.

if you are the unqualified helper you wont be putting your name on anything,
But just being there means he'd be associated with it - even if his name didn't appear on any forms. Not to mention, if any "action" were taken (wether that was LABC enforcing regs, or the customer claiming against the main contractor for an unsatisfactory job) then his name could well come out during proceedings as "having been doing the work".

I do understand thats why i was asking you as there is a difference as you have discovered. ;)
On the other hand, while it's technically incorrect, there is a common usage of "cement" meaning a mix of cement/sand/water (ie mortar) and "concrete" being the same but with aggregate as well. So one has to be careful to consider the audience, since in some situations the correct terminology will only cause confusion as it's not the same as "common usage" - not that we ever have that problem in electrics do we now :rolleyes:

Don't understand what you are getting at here. I stated that the customer was filling the chases with concrete then in another post mentioned the material that is in this mix that causes the reaction! Seems to me that maybe you didn't understand what was written! :oops:

Vibrio,

Is this person 'a friend?' 'a work colleague?' 'your employer?'

I suspect a friend and if so, why can't you discuss all this with him? Rather than broadcast it through this forum for all to see.

I would hope that my friends would approach me if they had a problem with my actions rather than an Internet forum.

Vibrio,

Is this person 'a friend?' 'a work colleague?' 'your employer?'

I suspect a friend and if so, why can't you discuss all this with him? Rather than broadcast it through this forum for all to see.

I would hope that my friends would approach me if they had a problem with my actions rather than an Internet forum.

More of a friend of a friend if you get what I mean. No real ties with the guy and certainly won't be helping out again. No real harm discussing on the forum as it's basically anonymous. More of a problem with the bc investigation following the tip off!

You've certainly done the right think to exclude yourself from the job.

You've also done the right thing by the customer reporting him/his company to your LABC.

Good things come in three so maybe you would be kind enough to share the name of his company with the forum in order to raise awareness of this cowboy?

Good things come in three so maybe you would be kind enough to share the name of his company with the forum in order to raise awareness of this cowboy?

Don't think it would be a good idea! You may see the name published after LABC have finished though!

I think that's best.
At the moment we only have one side of the story, and even though it's hard to see how there could be valid reasons, it would be best to keep quiet.

On the other hand, if LABC turn up and find things to be amiss, then it's no longer a matter of "what some bloke on't interwebs thinks".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back