Building Regulations - Inspections (moved)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
Six years ago I started to build an extension.
I was doing all the work myself and choose to do it on Building Notice rather than submitted drawings.

Due to loss of income, coincident with an injury, I stopped work and have not done any since.

I am now planning to continue the work shortly to complete the extension.

Before I contact Building Control to discuss the finishing of the project I thought I would arm myself with some information and started to do some research.

The purpose of my post here is to ask if anyone can tell me -
When I resume the work, does it have to be continued considering today's regulations, or would the regulations in force at the time be acceptable.

For example I used 9.5mm plasterboard for the ceilings in one room that I had completed - can I continue to use 9.5mm in the other rooms, or does it now have to be 12.5mm (which according to my local builders merchant is the current requirement).

Any input appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The Regs that were in place when you first applied in theory.
Thanks Fressie.

I did think that, and hopefully we are correct, but wondered if they may use the fact that there are no drawings to take the view that they can only judge based on current regulations.

The regulations at the time of application will apply.

9.5mm has never been acceptable for ceilings. 12.5 gives the required fire resistance.

Sponsored Links
The regulations at the time of application will apply.

9.5mm has never been acceptable for ceilings. 12.5 gives the required fire resistance.
Thanks Woody.

Your comment about acceptability of 9.5mm surprised me. The building regs officer at the time knew it was 9.5mm (he asked at the inspection) and although he did not say 'that meets regs' he did not comment to the contrary and signed off the inspection.

Well it's done now and they probably won't ask again. - hopefully.

Thanks again.

I thought 9.5mm plasterboard was for bodgers and tightwads. :sneaky:
No - it is also a convenient option for an elderly person who has limited income and suffers ill health who has to do the work themselves because they can't afford to employ labour and therefore needs to make overhead boarding as easy as possible - and there is a big difference in weight when single handily trying to put a 12.5mm sheet as opposed to a 9.5mm sheet on a ceiling.

There are better ways to save money rather than compromising fire reg's.
it is also a convenient option for an elderly person suffers ill health who has to do the work themselves
That's what grandkids are for.

There are better ways to save money rather than compromising fire reg's.

I explained that earlier - the inspector did not suggest that they were against the regs at his inspection.

That's what grandkids are for.

Unfortunately my only grandchild died with their father and uncle in a car crash a year before I started the extension, which was being built to accommodate their mother (my daughter) who was crippled in the same accident.

Anyway, your comments, as amusing as you may think they are, are completely off the original topic, so please refrain from posting further unless you have something constructive to contribute to my original question.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back