Building work for a garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to get a builder in to do the first stages of a single garage conversion. The garage is integral to the house so I've established that I don't need planning. I can do the other internal work and call a favour for the electrics.

Building work would be

- Brick up garage door and fit window
- Knock through (load bearing wall) to create an internal door
- Replace external side door with full length window

I'm unsure how to get started:

- Do I need to apply to building regs now, have someone inspect the footings etc, then give that info / report to a builder?
- Or does building regs need to inspect when the builder is here?
- One inspection total or one before and one on completion?
- Will building regs care the conversion isn't fully finished by the builder?

Also if any one has suggestions what I should be looking to pay for the work above (outside London), that would be really helpful.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'm looking to get a builder in to do the first stages of a single garage conversion. The garage is integral to the house so I've established that I don't need planning.
Do you have enough off road parking for the size of the house, in view of the fact you will be losing the garage?

I'm unsure how to get started.
Apply to Building Control for a Building Notice. Once you have paid the fee then your builder/project manager/yourself will ring BC at relevant parts of the build and they will come and inspect.

- One inspection total or one before and one on completion?
At each relevant stage. You may carry out work in several areas and have lots of bits ready to inspect in one visit......or you may need several visits.

You will likely need inspections for frontage foundations, any drainage, oversite, electrics, venting, smoke/heat detectors etc.

You will need to think about thermal values in the floor and walls.

Your electrician will need to be qualified.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back