Built-in Microwave 2 pin plug issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

Wondering if anyone can offer some advise on what to do.

So I purchased a new Built-in Microwave from a retailer which came with a moulded 2 pin Schuko plug. I believe it has pins at the top and bottom that are earth pins.

The item came with a plug converter in the box (which I was a bit worried with connecting but as it had manufacturer sticker on it I thought it must be decent to use). I used the microwave today to find that it had completely stopped working.

First thing to check is obviously the plug, so I removed panels to get to the plug to find that the adaptor plug was hot and melting. The adaptor plug is schuko plug compatible and has a 13amp plug.

The microwave has a power of 1200w and a rated load of 800w. My understanding is this is well within 13 amp plug capabilities, yet the 2 pin plug states 16a. I'm assuming this is just what this 2 pin plug is rated at?

The adaptor plug is like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Incutex-1x...child=1&keywords=schuko&qid=1591963732&sr=8-7

and this is what was damaged. The original device plug was a little warm but not damaged in any way.

Am I right in thinking it is this adaptor is the culprit or should I worry something is wrong with the microwave?

I have two options - using another adaptor or cutting the plug and wiring a good quality 3 pin plug (like a 13a permaplug', but the latter means the warranty will get invalidated.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
All appliances sold in the UK, by law have to be already fitted with a 13amp fused plug. Providing domestic appliances with adaptors is not permitted.

or cutting the plug and wiring a good quality 3 pin plug (like a 13a permaplug', but the latter means the warranty will get invalidated.
Fit a new plug.

Warranty is unrelated and won't be unaffected.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Unfortunetely as the kitchen is adapted to the microwave I can't return it and I've had it lying around for 3 months unopened.

So do you guys reckon its just this converter plug that is poor and if I cut and wire a plug in it will be ok given the ratings.

As its not a plug you can access easily once fitted in, just want to make sure its all safe. I'm assuming these Schuko plugs will have 3 wires so I can earth it in properly when I cut it?

So do you guys reckon its just this converter plug that is poor and if I cut and wire a plug in it will be ok given the ratings.
Probably. It could be your socket but unlikely if it was alright before.

I'm assuming these Schuko plugs will have 3 wires so I can earth it in properly when I cut it?
Yes - if required.

If it was me i would not cut the plug wire too short leave about 20mm on the plug, in the past i have found flex with Non UK colours, meaning you may have to strip and test to the pins what wire does what

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back