Bulk buying...

S

Sombrero

We're all tightening our belts these days, so i was wondering whether to investigate in a bulk buying strategy. Getting a group of friends and family together, and identifying common needs and buying in bulk and dishing out.

Anyone any experience in this sort of thing, or advice on where to buy from?

Sponsored Links
seldom worth it if you cant use the full amount before the use by date
savings are often small
the only one doing the running about will be you at your cost
if you try and add a small premium to cover you fuel and time you become "a trader" with all the implications

seldom worth it if you cant use the full amount before the use by date
savings are often small
the only one doing the running about will be you at your cost
if you try and add a small premium to cover you fuel and time you become "a trader" with all the implications

thats what i feared.... aren't there discount places though that offer good deals... never had a card though !

Sponsored Links
used to use cost co £25 a year for the card
some things are cheaper some are more
most bargains are "special" hence the only buy what you can eat comment so if no one wants to buy any your not out off pocket

used to use cost co £25 a year for the card
some things are cheaper some are more
most bargains are "special" hence the only buy what you can eat comment so if no one wants to buy any your not out off pocket

Thanks I'll look for another avenue !!

Agree with Big-all. In Costco, you have to watch the prices. some things can be bought cheaper in Asda and Tesco. Must admit, Costco have some thin pork sausages (about 90% pork) which are bloody lovely. I like a lot of their beef produce (usually cheaper than anywhere else, but again, you have to be careful and get prices off other suppliers) ;) ;)

if you want to save money use aldi lidl and other "basic " supermarkets
do a normal shop with middle off the range products choose the products you like
if you don't like then remove them from your list and go up a step
once you have decided what you cannot get in the value stores you can supplement it from another source

if you want to save money use aldi lidl and other "basic " supermarkets
do a normal shop with middle off the range products choose the products you like
if you don't like then remove them from your list and go up a step
once you have decided what you cannot get in the value stores you can supplement it from another source

Yep, big lidl visitors (although they do me on the tools.. Parkside i think.... always walk out with a planer or a heated ski suit...!)

I just wondered if buying 500 tins of beans, that would last a year and be spread amongst 10 families might be worth the 'economies of scale'?

I just wondered if buying 500 tins of beans, that would last a year and be spread amongst 10 families might be worth the 'economies of scale'?

its really a case off finding like minded people who share your values and tastes
this involves ignoring labels and manufacturers and going on value and taste then you can bulk buy on taste and value possibly 30-60% cheaper
savings are made from not being a label snob
other ways i save

do you like a good steak ?? around £5 for say 250-300 grams
buy a rosting joint for around £7 a kilo and slice into 200gram stakes around £140or £2 10p for a 300gram

now its not exactly the same but served in gravy and onions few will notice at a 60% cheaper cost

We buy frozen tripe in bulk, for the dogs, and its always touch and go getting the last few packets in the freezer.. :confused:

You aren't going to save money by buying in bulk for your weekly shop. Keep your eye on the "deals" in the major supermarkets and purchase as many as required to tide you over until the next "deal".

You need shelf space to do this. It's also often cheaper to pay for them to deliver a massive amount of (say, soap powder on deal) than for you to go and collect it yourself.

Costco/Makro will haggle though not with the likes of you and me. So again, only go there when they are selling something on a "deal".

These "deals" are almost certainly subsidised by the manufacturer.

If you want to save money on a regular basis then you will need to learn to cook properly. You will also lose a lot of weight and feel a lot healthier.

Play the big boys at their own game.

But rather than going straight for the bogof deals, have an amount you are willing to pay for something by weight.

Get your meat from your local butchers in bulk.

And for veggies buy 'seasonally' and locally produced.

Doing this means our food bill hasn't risen for many years!

If you want to save money on a regular basis then you will need to learn to cook properly. You will also lose a lot of weight and feel a lot healthier.

And get an allotment!

Buying tinned and dried foods that will actually last for years is probably a better bet against inflation than putting your money in the bank at the moment.

Sponsored Links
Back