burning smell

Sponsored Links
Because it's broken. Could be motor windings, armature, bearings, gearbox, shorted wiring. If you have sparks from the back end it could be the brushes.

As @cdbe says, could be a number of reasons but all leading to indicate drill has been overworked at some stage and not maintained.

I'm assuming its a corded 230/240 volt drill and not a cordless battery model?
First step is to check the carbon brushes. Make sure they are sliding freely in the boxes. Check for length and that they are touching the commutator fully. Is there a build up of carbon dust between the segs on the comm? Is the comm a dirty black or dark brown colour? How about the coil windings? Looking discoloured or burnt? Same with armature windings.
These are basic checks to be done before even thinking about checking resistances, earth leaks etc.
It does sound as though it has developed shorts though, and if this is the case, don't expect it to last much longer if it is in regular use.

Sponsored Links
yes, sparks at the back and smoke
As @cdbe says, could be a number of reasons but all leading to indicate drill has been overworked at some stage and not maintained.

I'm assuming its a corded 230/240 volt drill and not a cordless battery model?
First step is to check the carbon brushes. Make sure they are sliding freely in the boxes. Check for length and that they are touching the commutator fully. Is there a build up of carbon dust between the segs on the comm? Is the comm a dirty black or dark brown colour? How about the coil windings? Looking discoloured or burnt? Same with armature windings.
These are basic checks to be done before even thinking about checking resistances, earth leaks etc.
It does sound as though it has developed shorts though, and if this is the case, don't expect it to last much longer if it is in regular use.
cordless battery model; I bought a replacement which I use but just wondering if it worth repairing

Because it's broken. Could be motor windings, armature, bearings, gearbox, shorted wiring. If you have sparks from the back end it could be the brushes.
photo attached

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-26 215626.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-26 215626.png
    335.1 KB · Views: 70
I would guess that the brushes will be less than a tenner but that you may pay a fiver for postage. Factor in your time to open the machine, fit the brushes (and use webrax to clean the commutator), and then reassemble the drill.

Then decide if it is worthwhile fixing it.

If you enjoy fixing things, then go for it. If the 30ish minutes to fix it deprive you from doing something else you would rather do, perhaps bin the drill.

Oh, and check the screws used to hold the body together. I have repaired bosch diy hedge trimers for friends in the past. They use regular torx screws, except for the screw buried deepest into the body, which is a torx with the security pin in the middle. The first time, I had to spend a tenner on 90mm long torx security bits (my existing set was only 25mm long).

Frankly, I don't understand how it is legal for manufacturers to make it difficult (more expensive) for owners to fix their products. My stepfather recently want to fix his Vonchef food blender. They used Philips screws and one screw that has a triangular insert on the screw head (again, another screw set very deep into the body). I didn't know what size he needed, so I spent £15 on a set of 3. He managed to fix it. I am unlikely to ever used that screw set again.

Conversely, my expensive Festool tools use the torx screws that have a slot that will accept the correct sized slotted screw driver. None of my pro tools (largely Bosch blue, Dewalt, Metabo) make it difficult for them to be repaired by the owner.

As an aside, all of my Festool tools have a small spring loaded plastic insert in the carbon brushes. When the brush wears down to a given level, the nylon insert will bounce forward and stop the tool from working. It is quite a simple and elegant solution to protect the commutator.

That said, when the insert "pops", I pull it out, safe in the knowledge that I can use the tool for up to 40(?) hours whilst I wait for the new brushes to be delivered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back