But where are you really from? Lady-in-waiting has resigned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Racism card is thrown about like leaves in a wind these days.

I saw a couple of hundred leaves blowing around this morning.

How many reports of racism did you see mentioned on TV or read in a newspaper today?

I'm white and I often get asked where I am from because I'm not originally from Lancashire.
The whole affair is a load of BS that could have been handled better by both sides.
You must sound like one of the dreaded Yorkies :eek:

Susans Husseys line of questioning seemed rather arrogant to me….but I imagine most women who have a hus named Marmaduke are arrogant.
Perhaps more out of ignorance than bigotry? The only being I've ever known called Marmaduke was a ginger cat. I must travel in the wrong circles

Sponsored Links
Yep, and somewhat hypocritical...

The Late philip wasn't averse to the odd racist comment was he :rolleyes:

Then there is Princess Michael of Kent.
I recall spitting image sketches of her asking for 'Reich Krispies' at breakfast...

Even Harry was caught on video calling a cadet the 'p' word and being derogatory to arabs/muslims...

And then we have Liz...

Who refused to condemn colonial racism throughout her long reign...

Now we have a new king who thought it funny to call people of certain skin colour 'sooty'...

All family upbringing I guess ;)
Says the person that used the term "4x2's" to describe a certain race of people…….. Make your mind up - you have the ability to switch between PC Ellal and racist Ellal at the drop of a hat!

I had someone visit my office this week for the USA who had an unusual surname which I asked him to repeat so I could ensure I pronounced it correctly.

I asked him where the origins of his surname, turns out his family originated from Albania. It was just a bit of small talk with someone I didn’t know.

Now I’m wondering if some would confuse that with racism?!

The lady has dropped a major faux pas, and you’d think with her background/experience that she should be more sensitive to conducting herself without causing offence.

Do any black (or Asian or white non-English) people born in England celebrate where they "are from", or have they cut off all ties with their ancestral homeland?
Most black people have no records where they are from, and any attempt to trace their ancestry results in a sudden cut-off point when their ancestors were slaves, and slave masters/owners kept little or no records of slaves. What records were kept were of no value to the descendants trying to trace their ancestry.
Even their given names were changed by the slave masters/owners.

In addition colonial masters of the British colonies destroyed or dismantled any indigenous record keeping, as a method of dehumanising the population.
Now when asylum seekers/ BOT (British Overseas Territories) citizens are/were trying to prove their right to be in UK, their attempts are thwarted by the absence or scarcity of records.

Most black people have no records where they are from, and any attempt to trace their ancestry results in a sudden cut-off point when their ancestors were slaves, and slave masters/owners kept little or no records of slaves. What records were kept were of no value to the descendants trying to trace their ancestry.
Even their given names were changed by the slave masters/owners.

In addition colonial masters of the British colonies destroyed or dismantled any indigenous record keeping, as a method of dehumanising the population.
Now when asylum seekers/ BOT (British Overseas Territories) citizens are/were trying to prove their right to be in UK, their attempts are thwarted by the absence or scarcity of records.
Really? Most of them?

I recall a prog on the telly years ago following some trainees

One if the woman on the training course objected to one of her fellow trainees using the F word on a number of occasions so she made a complaint

They were training to be prison wardens / officers

Jeez us wept :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

She was probably traumatised and violated

It's a hard subject and an easy one to get wrong. Some people are frust into these walkabouts without having the skills or the training.
Nonsense, if you ask someone where are they from, and they reply 'Hackney', that should be good enough.
If they were white, you wouldn't keep badgering them to ask, but what part of UK, England, County, District are you really from.

It's perfectly reasonable, and polite/interesting conversation to ask if they were born in UK, or if they aware of their descendancy, or their parents, or grandparents, etc.
They might show a disinterest in that part of their life, or they might enjoy the opportunity to explain how they've tried to find out, and the difficulties they've faced. Or they might enjoy the opportunity to discuss the difficulties that their parents/grandparents faced during their lifetime, etc.

Lady H showed a typical lack of awareness, after being frust (sic) into the conversation, that being non-white does not mean you were not born and raised your whole life in Britain.
But she has travelled to France during her illustrious life, so one could assume she is well-travelled. :rolleyes:

frust, indeed! ;)

Is this lady in waiting really 83? Entirely different generation. She is well and truly pre-woke and almost certainly meant no offence.
Don't they do awareness classes for Ladies in Waiting?

I had Aussies who thought I was Aussie. I don't remember asking anyone to resign.
Were you ever asked, "What tribe are you from?"
Were you ever asked if you were indigenous Australian or an immigrant?

Are we now not allowed to ask where we may originate from?? Does it depend on their skin colour?
Of course you are allowed to ask, but you are expected to accept the first answer.
If you want to explore the avenue of their ancestry, there are ways to explore it, as has been discussed in this thread.
You don't refuse to accept someone's answer because it doesn't fit with your perception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back