buying a house with coal heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have fallen in love with a semi detached , but when looking at the brochure it states it has solid fuel heating. , I would want to change it to gas central heating. There is gas in street, in fact it is only house with coal heating. The house is emaculate inside and that is one of the reasons we love it, but the thought of having to pull up paved driveway, wood floors is just unthinkable.

Has anyone had coal changed to gas. The house has radiators but there is no way of knowing if the pipework would be suitable for changing to gas. It is not particularly the cost bothering me, more the upheaval.

Sponsored Links
But what sort of solid fuel heating system has it got? you need to understand what’s on offer! If your talking about an open fire with an ancient back boiler & gravity pipe pipework & radiator system then probably not but if it’s a modern crushed coal boiler or a multi-fuel stove linked to a back boiler than don’t dismiss it. Rural folks don’t have gas as an option (I don’t) unless you go for propane but get the right combination of solid fuels & you will definitely save a lot of cash at the moment; although it will never be as convenient as gas. ;)

There is no fire. Would that be an indication of what type it is. We haven't even been to see house, just seen pics. It may be a horrid house :rolleyes:

We have fallen in love with a semi detached ---- The house is emaculate inside and that is one of the reasons we love it, but the thought of having to pull up paved driveway, wood floors is just unthinkable.

We haven't even been to see house, just seen pics. It may be a horrid house :rolleyes:
You can’t be serious :eek: ; sorry but how on earth can you “fall in love” with a property without any detail of it's heating facilities or even seeing it in the flesh & where it’s located. There may be all sorts of “developments/other reasons” nearby that would put you off immediately you drove up. In the 6 month search for my current property which I bought in 2004, I dismissed hundreds of properties on those grounds alone.

Sponsored Links
The way gas prices are going maybe you should stick with coal.

Replacing a central heating system for the average size house approx £3000 to £4000 should easily cover it.

If having the gas installed is expensive another option is air source heat pump cost approx 1200 for a 12kw one which should do the house for most of the year.

If it's a Trianco TRG type boiler I'd see no disadvantage. You'll have a traditional wet CH system with the advantage of being able to get some HW in a power cut. Furthermore you can manage your fuel supply, which is less likely to be pinched by those travelling fine upstanding pillars of society and is unlikely to cause pollution penalties associated with oil spillls.

Meant to say, we have not been inside house. I grew up on street and parents still live there.

Thanks for all advice. We obviously need to have a viewing but are not yet in a position to buy yet so don't want to mess sellers around by getting hopes up. It may sell to someone else tomorrow, we just need to wait and see.

We obviously need to have a viewing but are not yet in a position to buy yet so don't want to mess sellers around by getting hopes up. It may sell to someone else tomorrow, we just need to wait and see.
How does a viewing mess sellers around? You can only "mess them around" if they let you or have no one else interested in the property but how far you take it rather depends if your just dreaming or will be in a position to make it happen soon. It’s never sold till the contract are signed & exchanged & even then not till money changes hands; if you “wait & see” someone else will eventually get in there & you will never know!

A Trianco TRG boiler requires electricity to operate, as will the circulation pump. Take a look at a fuel price comparison website. Choose a good make of boiler with built-in weather compensation if you do go for gas.

Mrs Boilerman2 & I nearly fell in love with a house once it looke fantastic and the price was well in our range so we arranged a viewing................
it was 10 yards from the three lane A12 trunk road!!! ...Love affair OVER!!

Moral of the tale ...go andf look at it first!! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back