buying a house

Sponsored Links
You tell me. It was sarcasm.

What effects does metrication have on electrical installations?

If the 1000ft² limit was valid and justified, how could it arbitrarily be raised to 1076.39ft² - just because of metrication?

Because it's only a guideline, and 1076.39ft² makes as much sense as having jars of jam weighing 454g.

Sponsored Links
Sorry - I phrased it badly.

What I meant to get across was that it would have been daft to change the guideline from 1000 sq ft to 92.9 sq m. Just like it is daft to still make jars of jam weighing 454g.

Agreed, but doesn't that show that the 1000 sq.ft. was meaningless?

If important, and relevant to anything, it would surely have been changed to 90 sq.m.

I wouldn't actually say "meaningless" but, rather, an almost arbitrary (hence necessarily 'approximate') round number.

A bit like speed limits. 30 mph is clearly essentially arbitrary. If we decided to 'go metric', it's quite probable that we would change that to 45 km/h (~28 mph) or maybe 50 km/h (~31 mph) - but that would not mean that the previous 30 mph was 'meaningless', would it?

Kind Regards, John

I think it would be 50kph - as in Europe.

Anyway, the 30mph and 50kph were, presumable set as duly considered relatively safe in the event of an accident.

It was not chosen because your car is 15 feet long and 6 feet wide.

I think it would be 50kph - as in Europe.
Yes, as I implied, probably - but would you say that meant that the previous 30 mph had been 'meaningless'?
Anyway, the 30mph and 50kph were, presumable set as duly considered relatively safe in the event of an accident.
Yes, but it's not black and white - it's not exactly 'arbitrary' - but it is dependent on one's view as to what is the acceptable level of risk/injury ....

• If one is hit by a car travelling at 30 mph, one would, statistically speaking, be likely to suffer less injury than if the car were travelling at 31 mph.
  • If one is hit by a car travelling at 29 mph, one would, statistically speaking, be likely to suffer less injury than if the car were travelling at 30 mph, and even more less than had it been travelling at 31 mph.
  • If one is hit by a car travelling at 28 mph, one would, statistically speaking, be likely to suffer less injury than if the car were travelling at 29 mph, and even more less than had it been travelling at 30 or 31 mph.
  • .... and so on.

Someone has to decide where they want to draw the line (i.e. what level of injury they are prepared to 'accept') - and there is no correct/incorrect about that decision.

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
That may be so, but you're doing what you frequently do - introducing an apparent (in my view invalid) comparison and then discussing (arguing about) that.

The 1000 sq.ft. and 100 sq.m. are totally irrelevant to a ring circuit unless you think the speed limit was introduced because your car covers an area of 90 sq.ft.

Perhaps I should have used the word pointless instead of meaningless - although the area limit does mean nothing in electrical considerations.

The 1000 sq.ft. and 100 sq.m. are totally irrelevant to a ring circuit unless you think the speed limit was introduced because your car covers an area of 90 sq.ft.
The floor area figures and speed limits were both introduced because someone considered those to be reasonable ('approximate', hence round figures) places to draw the line - in terms of their judgements about what it was likely to mean in terms of electrical loads, and what it was likely to mean in terms of a vehicle impacting a person, respectively. However, as I said, that 'where to join the line' is a judgement, based on all sorts of things, not something that is 'right' or 'wrong'
Perhaps I should have used the word pointless instead of meaningless - although the area limit does mean nothing in electrical considerations.
I don't think the vocabulary makes any difference. I would probably say something like 'imprecise to the extent of being of little value as a generalisation'. There obviously is an underlying 'electrical consideration' (an estimate of the electric load likely to be applied to the circuit) - but the problem is that floor area is, as a generalisation, a very imprecise measure/estimator/predictor of that.

Of course, if we were talking about something like heating loads, then floor area (equivalent to volume, if all rooms were the same height) would be a much more precise index of energy required for the heating, hence a good guide to what floor area (hence room volume) could be supplied by a circuit of a given capacity.

Kind Regards, John

If important, and relevant to anything, it would surely have been changed to 90 sq.m.
FHS, EFLI, it was a guideline - why are you so hung up on how much meaning there is in the difference between 90m² and 100m², or 1000ft² and 1076.39ft², (or either of those and 100yd², which could have just as well been the old imperial guidance)?

FHS, EFLI, it was a guideline - why are you so hung up on how much meaning there is in the difference between 90m² and 100m², or 1000ft² and 1076.39ft², (or either of those and 100yd², which could have just as well been the old imperial guidance)?

I'm not hung up on the difference.

My comments were being sarcastic because, as I pointed out, it shows that both are totally unrelated to an electrical circuit so, as you say, it doesn't matter what number or unit is used.

Is there an upper limit to this guidline?

That may be so, but you're doing what you frequently do - introducing an apparent (in my view invalid) comparison and then discussing (arguing about) that.
No - he is trying to show you other examples where a value is chosen because people, rightly, want limits that are nice, round, easy to remember numbers, and the same applies to guidelines.

And sorry, old chum, but I simply do not accept that you genuinely found his analogy so abstruse that you think there has to be a connection between speed limits and car sizes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back