buying a house

We viewed a house we really like
How long have you been looking?

How many have you seen?

How many have you seen that you really like?

Is there anything important about this one that you cannot find in any others?

Sponsored Links
at least here in greater manchester.
A house literally round the corner from us was put on the market recently. I knew the owners and the house had not had any work done on it since 1983.
It sold for the asking price and the builders moved in soon after and are in the process of gutting it.

i'll s
A house literally round the corner from us was put on the market recently. I knew the owners and the house had not had any work done on it since 1983.
It sold for the asking price and the builders moved in soon after and are in the process of gutting it.

have they bought it as a buy to let?

No. I believe they are either doing it up & moving in or doing it up & selling, depending on their profit margin.

Sponsored Links
do you think its worth what they paid?

i really think a lot if the stock is overpriced. whether there will be a crashh
or adjustment similar to what we saw with the stock market earlier thiss
week remains to be seen.

i have just come back from germany working there for a
year and over there people don't seem obsessed by property ownership and property as a way of becoming rich as we are in this country.

We're not heading for a crash, but there will at least be a slowdown as the landlords can no longer apply mortgage interest against their expenses. Some are already starting to sell of some of their properties, and that'll increase over the next year. As more properties come onto the market, so prices will soften, but not necessarily drop significantly.

do you think its worth what they paid?
I was surprised. The last time a fully refurbed and extended house (the same design) went up for the same amount nearby a few years ago, it was knocked down before it would sell.

my advice.,,,,if you like the house,offer what you think it is worth as it is now. they either sell you the house or they don't.

As for the electrics, 1970s is a bit old for original wiring but not unusual. An inspection report won't tell you too much aboiut the actual wiring just whether the visible parts are OK. Whatever is hidden in the walls is hidden. So long as the insulation hasn't deteriorated then it will be OK

So for the future, once you are in the house, the chrome sockets downstairs will just be new face plates added to the original back boxes. You can buy therm in B&Q. and this says nothing whether the downstairs has been rewired or not, just the owner wanted chrome sockets downstairs. Number of sockets - check out the fuse ratings and the cable size, and either ask another question here or look online for the number of sockets per ruing that fuise size is suitavle fior. Remember that the fuse is there to protect the cable and shouldb't be increased. If recommended max nuumber of sockets is more than the number you get then you can add more in and the cables should be OK

Consumer unit - should be abl to swaop the fuse box for a consumer unit without a full rewire.

End f the day though, best to get an electrician to look at the job and do the work. They mgiht be able to give yoiu a cheaper price if you can do some of the work for them

There is no maximum number of sockets per circuit.

All circuits are likely to have more sockets than the fuse rating would indicate; e.g. 32A circuit, 3 x 13A sockets would be too many.

The floor areas are mentioned in the OSG, but are also mentioned in Appx 15.

It says compliance with 433.1.103 can be achieved by, amongst other things, taking account of the floor area served. (Historically, a limit of 100m² has been adopted).

That's good enough for me.

In the 14th, it was in the regs, Limit of 1000ft² = 92.9m², which was rounded up in metres.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back