Buying tools to use and sell on as opposed to renting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im wondering if anyone here has ever bought second hand machinery to use and then sell on to avoid large rental costs and other such annoyances.

I currently need to use a plate compacter for a sub base and driveway installation that im tackling myself.

the problem is im doing the work a day here and a day there fitting in around work and weekends, i don't want to have to rent a plate compactor every day for one day at a time for instance this coming Sunday and then the next Sunday, for a number of reasons, mainly its more expensive that way and half the places aren't open Sundays and charge more at weekends.

I figured I could buy a plate compacter 500mm one on ebay for around £400 and as long as i sell it after use for more than say £300 its probably cost me about the same as renting and given me massive flexibility. It also looks like they dont change much so its not really going to go out of date if i keep it for 6 months. I also thought about doing the same with a cement mixer which i also need

thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Bought my temporary fencing for extension works for £120 then sold it on for £80, a lot cheaper than hire.
Bought props for £25 a piece and will probably get £20 each when job is finished.
Though the higher the initial cost the greater the risk.

Just be careful when you buy petrol powered gear, especially if its from a local authority auction, for example......
Its there for a reason - its knacked.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Can't see how it wouldn't worth if your good about maintaining tools. Rental companies do seem to take the ****

yeah its called ebay.
trouble with me is.......im a kleptomaniac if i have the dosh and i think it could be useful(SOMETIME)i want it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back