Cable for 32a / 6.3KW double oven

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am planning to lay some cable ahead of my kitchen being installed and wanted to get some guidance on the size of the conductor required for a 32A / 6.3KW double oven that will be on a standalone circuit. I won't be doing any of the installation but would like to get the cable in place ahead of kitchen work.

In case anyone is wondering, this is the oven I have in mind.

https://www.johnlewis.com/neff-n50-...cleaning-double-oven-stainless-steel/p5382285

Sponsored Links
4mm2 cable is OK for a 32 amp load on a 32 amp MCB.

A sparks may decline to use a cable he has not installed as he may not want to lie when he signs it off.

in the real world, virtually all electricians would use 6mm2 cable though.

Don't ask me why. I'm not saying 4mm2 is wrong. I'm not saying I'm right.

That's just the way, it seems to me, that it is.

4mm2 cable is OK for a 32 amp load on a 32 amp MCB.

A sparks may decline to use a cable he has not installed as he may not want to lie when he signs it off.

I'll only be clipping it to the floor joists as I have bits of my ceiling plasterboard cut away and the floorboards up on the floor above.

Sponsored Links
in the real world, virtually all electricians would use 6mm2 cable though.

Don't ask me why. I'm not saying 4mm2 is wrong. I'm not saying I'm right.

That's just the way, it seems to me, that it is.

The same as many use 1.5mm2 for light circuits when 1.0mm2 is OK. Just a waste of the worlds valuable resources of copper.

It does depend on a few factors like grouping, cable length and voltage drop, and installation method.

So without certain information to hand, you cannot categorically say N mm² cable is fine for XYZ use.

Which I have mentioned at least once before.

in the real world, virtually all electricians would use 6mm2 cable though. ... Don't ask me why. I'm not saying 4mm2 is wrong. I'm not saying I'm right. ... That's just the way, it seems to me, that it is.
As you imply, I think the answer to the 'why?' question is probably 'because that's wot people have always done' - which seems to imply that a lot of 'people' may not have bothered (or have not been able to) 'think for themselves' about the matter.

It seems to me that 'people', including many electricians, have some aspects of behaviour in common with sheep (and/or parrots) :)

However, having just seen secure's post, I am reminded of another issue. 4mm² T+E is only OK on a 32A MCB if it is Method C, with no de-rating factors. If it's any other installation method and/or there are any de-rating factors, then one would have to use a lower-rated MCB. One might be lucky enough to find a 25A one for one's CU, but it would probably would often have to be 20A - and that could be too low for the cooker.

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
Thank you all for the input. Is the verdict 6mm2 T&E? And does it need to be Heat Resistant? I don't mind oversizing the cable.

Thank you all for the input. Is the verdict 6mm2 T&E? And does it need to be Heat Resistant? I don't mind oversizing the cable.
Yes. 6mm². That gives you a margin should you decide to add a hob, for instance, in the future.
Standard twin and earth PVC cable.
That is all that is required for the cable from the consumer unit to the oven.

One has to remember that @winston1 is not an electrician. And does not even have a copy of the Wiring Regulations. View his input with that in mind.
I think this applies to most people on this site. It is after all a DIY site.

Are you suggesting my reply re cable sizes is wrong? No one else is.

No 4mm2 is OK as I said and others have confirmed. Heat resistant not required.

Wrong. Adding a job will not affect the cable size. Cable size is decided by the MCB rating.
In a very few years the government is banning gas boilers. There is little doubt that other gas appliances will fall under the axe in the attempt to stamp out the use of fossil fuels.
Come that day the OP will have to chop another new cable in and install a new circuit when he is forced to replace his gas hob with an electric one.
That’s the benefit if foresight that comes from many years of domestic electrical work. Better than reading the regs in your local library.

In a very few years the government is banning gas boilers. There is little doubt that other gas appliances will fall under the axe in the attempt to stamp out the use of fossil fuels.
Come that day the OP will have to chop another new cable in and install a new circuit when he is forced to replace his gas hob with an electric one.
That’s the benefit if foresight that comes from many years of domestic electrical work. Better than reading the regs in your local library.
A standard cooker set up whether it is an integrated stove or a separate hob and oven runs off a 32a MCB. That is all that is required due to diversity. There will be no need to change the MCB or cable when adding a job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back