Cable size?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a weather compensator to control a heating boiler!!
The instructions recommend a twin cable of 1.5mm with a max length of 35m for wiring the out door sensor!!
As the run of cable to the sensor will only be 3m max would 1.00mm cable be adequate???
The resistance of the thermistor varies from 480-560 ohms!!
What is the resistance per metre of 1.00mm/1.5mm cable??
Or am I missing something out of the equation??

Sponsored Links
In all probability a 1mm cable would do ....... However if your really strapped for the money to get 3 meters of 1.5mm sq send me your address & I'll give ya £2.50 :rolleyes:

John M said:
In all probability a 1mm cable would do ....... However if your really strapped for the money to get 3 meters of 1.5mm sq send me your address & I'll give ya £2.50 :rolleyes:

Thank you for your kind offer!! I wish there were a few hundred more people like you about!!
Ps I accept paypal!!

If its 240v 1.0 mm will do it ........ If its low voltage like 3v or somthing silly it probably would need 1.5mm to get it 35 meters & back ...... Which is weired I know, but there ya are.... Nip to one of those back street scruffy electrical shopz they will sell ya 3/5/a million meters of cable @ a sensible per meter cost...... B&Q & co will just defile you & probably poison your cat too :eek:

Sponsored Links
W0t sorta boiler are you fitting anyways?

Its ok I'm not a member of the "Ooooh ya can't do that" brigade

Viessman 333!!

Out door sensor only gives a resistance reading to the interface so I just wondered what ohm per meter difference there is between 1.5 and 1.00mm cable!!

Are you really in Antarctica?
According to the on site guide a 1m piece of single 1mm² cable is 18.10 milliohms @ 20ºC.
1.5mm² cable is 12.10 milliohms @ 20ºC.
(Remember to double the figures for there and back!!)
For different temperatures as a guide you can adjust the resistance by mutliplying the figure by 1+(0.004 x difference) for an increase of temp or dividing by 1+(0.004 x difference) for a decrease in temp.

Terrywookfit said:
Viessman 333!!

Out door sensor only gives a resistance reading to the interface so I just wondered what ohm per meter difference there is between 1.5 and 1.00mm cable!!

How much are they ........ I'm planning a system based on the 200 ......... Ummmmm :confused:

Ball park kinda thing ;)

The resistance of the thermistor varies from 480-560 ohms!!

Let's do the sums. So the on-site guide says 1.5 sq mm wire is 12.1 milli-ohms per metre. This means that the 35m length - that's a 70m round trip - is 0.847 ohms. Your thermistor's range is 80 ohms so the maximum length of 1.5 sq mm cable will introduce an error of about one percent of its full scale range - but that's not important right now.

A 3m length of 1 sq mm cable has a round trip resistance of just 108.6 milli-ohms, considerably less than the maximum permitted length of 1.5 sq mm. It won't just work; it'll work better!

Just to cover all the possibilities, what about current rating? Could it be that the 1 sq mm cable won't be up to the job? Now this size cable is actually good for 11 amps but we'll go with 5 amps anyway. If that thermistor really did take 5 amps it would put out about 13kW. It would light up like an arc lamp!

We can safely conclude that 1 sq mm cable won't have any significant effect on your sensor circuit and it won't be overloaded. I say go for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back