Cable sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, is 1.5mm ok to use to take a spur off another socket to run a fridge on? And is a 20amp isolation switch suitable for an electric shower? Cheers in advance.

Sponsored Links
depending on the loads and cable derating factors. also you will have to refer to manufacturer's data for the installation of the shower and the location to where you want to fit the 20A switch.

not a lot of info in the post.

Not good practice to mix cable sizes on a circuit, On a 32A ring or 20A radial circuit, all cables must be rated at 20A or more. 1.5mm² T&E cable is rated at 20 A clipped direct, so would just scrape by provided the cable was not in any sort of conduit or insulation. Better to use 2.5mm² cable.

A 20A switch for isoilating a shower is almost certainly massively inadequate. Even a lowly 7.5kW shower will draw 32 A at 240V. What do the instructions say? I bet 20p they specify a 45A double pole isolator.

Sponsored Links
littleleaks said:
1.5mm ok to use to take a spur off another socket --

In a word, no! :!: :!: :!: I think perhaps that you misunderstand the purpose of fuses. A fuse protects the cable that lies downstream or, to put it another way, a cable should be big enough for the fuse that protects it. The load on the end is not relevant. If the existing socket is on a ring, it will most likely be protected by a 30 amp fuse or 32 amp breaker and it will be wired with 2.5mm cable.

There is actually an inconsistency here because that size of cable is not rated at 32 amps. :eek: :eek: :eek: It's one of the few situations where fuses protect the cable lying upstream. (The other common one is the cable leading into your house from the street.) The assumption is that you can only draw a maximum of 26 amps from a double socket - and even this is unlikely to happen - so 20 amp rated cable is acceptable.

and also said:
-- is a 20amp isolation switch suitable for an electric shower?

That's highly unlikely. I've never seen an electric shower that took less than 30 amps and that was a small one (7kW). Many take more than this.

starspark

not good practice i would install an fcu. but in theory if you have a 5A socket outlet you are restricted to the load that can be attached. but there are no load sizes hence my very vague response.

starspark

not good practice i would install an fcu. but in theory if you have a 5A socket outlet you are restricted to the load that can be attached. but there are no load sizes hence my very vague response.

What about a single socket that is designed for a 13amp plug?

It's not really good practice, and not something I would personally do, but there is nothing to prevent you taking a spur in 1.5mm² cable providing the installation method means the CCC isn't reduced and the run is short enough to meet VD and EFLI requirements.

erm elrobbo i didnt say it was or wasnt i was asking you a question for once as i am tired of answering all your trivial ones. But unlike yourself i wont have the mods erase all posts when you look silly on your posts.

And be assured you certainly couldnt bring my competency into question.

Ok so 2.5mm is it for the spur, anyoe want 25meters of 1.5mm :eek:) The shower will be between 9 and 10kw, customer has not yet bought it. The current iso switch is upstairs but the shower is downstairs so I am wanting to put a new iso in. If I buy the highest rated one then I ought have no problems?

Ok so 2.5mm is it for the spur, anyoe want 25meters of 1.5mm :eek:) The shower will be between 9 and 10kw, customer has not yet bought it. The current iso switch is upstairs but the shower is downstairs so I am wanting to put a new iso in. If I buy the highest rated one then I ought have no problems?

Are you sure you should be completing this work? You are asking some very basic fundamental questions.

Does the customer know you are seeking advice to do the job from a DIY forum?

starspark

But you couldn't put a 5A socket on a circuit protected at 32A anyway, so you'd deffo need a FCU.

AIUI ring circuits must be in >2.5mm cable and that includes unfused spurs. Except for MICC of course.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back