Cable stripper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning everyone,

Anyone used one of these ? does it avoid problems with nicking the insulation when trying to get the sheath off using a knife ?

Thanks, David

Sponsored Links
Only good for round cables, we used to use them for BT cw1108 external heavy sheaf cables.

No point in having them in a sparks tool box, a stanley knife is still the best sheaf remover for TE cable. I haven't knicked a core sheaf in years.

Thanks Chri5,

I won't bother buying them. Do you know of any tool tat is good for stripping the sheath of t&e ?

Thanks David

KLE-74018-2.jpg

Don't know:

1) If you can get them in the UK.

2) If Romex sizes are close enough to T/E for it to work.

If anybody can find out, let us all know.

Sponsored Links
I could do with a stripper for my wheelie bin of scrap cables (various sizes) because I just cant bring myself to see it go for such a **** poor amount with the insulation still on.

Any ideas? I've found a steady hand and a stanley knife is the best way, may experiment with hook blades.

2) If Romex sizes are close enough to T/E for it to work.

It appears to be designed to strip the sheath on anything from 2+Gnd #14 up to 2+Gnd #6 NM cable, so I would think it would probably be effective enough for at least 1.5 to 6.0 sq. mm. T&E:

http://www.acetoolonline.com/Klein-74018-Cable-Ripper-for-14-6-AWG-p/kle-74018.htm

I wonder whether whether it might not cut right through the middle of the sheath though, as British T&E has the PVC take a mold right through to the bare earth whereas American NM cable has an outer sheath which is consistent in its thickness around the whole cable.

2.5 sq. mm T&E versus #12 NM cable for comparison:

US_UK_Cable1.jpg

US_UK_Cable2.jpg

I assume its considered bad form to tug on the CPC to split the insulation then?

I assume its considered bad form to tug on the CPC to split the insulation then?

Nothing wrong with it IMO as long as you ring round the point where you want to strip the insulation back to using a stanley knife in order to give a clean edge. Apparently many college lecturers say it will damage the cable, but this just isn't true, and I have yet to meet a spark who has had any problems on account of stripping T+E this way.

While I agree that the cheesewire method of stripping T&E cable isn't the best I don't believe in this stretching the cpc business.
I didn't believe it when I was told about it 20 odd years ago and I don't believe it now.
In all my time installing, maintaining and testing T&E installations I have not come across one shred of evidence to support it. No higher resistances on R1+R2 or higher EFLI tests or breakages.I have come across more damage caused by clumsy knife weilders.
If anybody has evidence to the contrary I am willing to be proved wrong.

When you use the cheese wire method, the CPC always ends up longer than the live conductors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back