Cable without colours

505D0E36-F679-463B-BA65-D6B969E2A083.jpeg

We often install multicore SWA and it always comes with numbered white cores as standard.

Sponsored Links
I stick to Aphanumeric markings instead of coloured sleeves.
upload_2020-3-27_18-43-17.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I certainly don't see this as a rarity, I have seen multicore SWA with numbered cored instead of colours for many years - and I'm not dealing with it daily.

SY yes, I deal with that every week but at my last workplace most of the installed stuff that used multicore SWA was numbered not coloured.

Tut tut, RF, No female bush.....
Having seen the standard of RF's work in a number of pics on here, I think I'd be hard pushed to question it.

However the question of the female bush occurs time and time again:), sometimes it's about a brass object.

Why fit one? to protect the cable?...
The original use of a female bush was to ptotect cable as it emerged from the cut end of a conduit or something similar, however I frequently find, as I'm sure RF does, that the smootheness of brass fittings is of equal standard as a female bush and therefore see no point in adding the additional ring.

Additionally I find 3 disadvantages to fitting female bushes:
1) they take up space, not a lot admittedly, but quite often that extra couple of mm is APITA.

2a) depending on the internal size of the male part a female bush often has a smaller orifice and pushing wires through from the 'other side' they often get caught.

2b) depending on the internal size of the male part a female bush often has a smaller orifice and therefore adds an additional lip which can easily mark the wires insulation.

3) depending on the internal size of the male part a female bush often has a larger orifice which means the original edge is not protected.

I'm happy to let RF continue to make his assessment of each situation.(y)

The inner edge of brass bushes isn't usually sharp, but even if it is, that can easily be fixed with one of these:

IMG_20200329_151832.jpg

Female bush not required.

The inner edge of brass bushes isn't usually sharp, but even if it is, that can easily be fixed with one of these:

View attachment 187155

Female bush not required.
yep I'm pretty sure that's what I was saying too.
... I frequently find, as I'm sure RF does, that the smootheness of brass fittings is of equal standard as a female bush and therefore see no point in adding the additional ring.

I tend to use a bit of wet n dry if needed, it gives me a better finish than my deburring tool.

Is there a standard for Panels when fitting Cable markers, I always thought they go the opposite way round to what RF has done.

Is there a standard for Panels when fitting Cable markers, I always thought they go the opposite way round to what RF has done.
Sadly no, I automatically do it reading from the end of the cable unless I'm working on existing kit which is the other way round, others seem to thing it's easier to insert the wire from the other end of the marker.

And then some fit them so they read from left to right or top to bottom. What I really hate is opening a panel and finding an unpredictable mixture like in mine.(n) Unfortunately I had limited access to ceiling and scaff tower so I preppared the end of the cables at floor level and then didn't have time to correct. However these will probably never be looked at again so it doesn't really matter unless I have to move the lighting bars again.

In the pic with the terminals either side the numbers should be reading left to right on both sides. (irrespective of the exit direction of the cable).

Thats how we read a book, we don't turn the book upside down to read it.

In the pic with the terminals either side the numbers should be reading left to right on both sides. (irrespective of the exit direction of the cable).

Thats how we read a book, we don't turn the book upside down to read it.
Is that a rule or regulation or simply the way you do it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back