Cables behind Plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am converting my Integral Garage to a kitchen and will be drylining the walls after doing the electrics, will the cables in the walls have to be covered by any trunking etc. prior to the Dot & Dab plasterboard being fitted? - Thanks :D

Sponsored Links
Providing the cables are routed within the safe zones then no additional protection is required, however most electricians consider it to be good practice to cover the cables with capping, or better still use oval condiut to enable future replacement of the cables.

RF Lighting said:
Providing the cables are routed within the safe zones then no additional protection is required, however most electricians consider it to be good practice to cover the cables with capping, or better still use oval condiut to enable future replacement of the cables.
Thanks for that, I am new to this site - so hope I am replying correctly! :D

I take it you are aware of the building regs re electrical work in a kitchen?

Sponsored Links
Spark123 said:
I take it you are aware of the building regs re electrical work in a kitchen?

Its not a kitchen its a garage, unless its already got a sink and an area for preparation of food.

So are you saying I can just remove my kitchen sink and not prepare food in there for a while to avoid notification?

No, I am saying if its not yet a kitchen, then your statement does not apply, although the electrical works may require notification, depending on their nature.

If I remove my sink, strip the units out and not use it as a food preperation area then technically it wont be a kitchen so am I free to modify socket circuits etc without notification? I could re-classifty it as a store room whilst the electrical work is ongoing. It is the same arguament. The electrical work will need to be designed, erected and inspected for kitchen use, so does the kitchen rule apply?

and the ultimate answer to that question is we will probablly never know for sure. They don't really care too much about diyers, the real cowboys can probablly be convicted on much stronger grounds anyway and the legit electricians wouldn't try a dodge like this in the first place

Hmmmm......
You all have a very good point of view on this and a lot of the problems start at the design stage I.E ...
Step one :Assessment of general characteristics
I.E what will the particular room in question be used for?.

As the room is a blank canvas it isnt anything,at the moment BUT the circuit design and cable sizes will show it intends to be a kitchen I.E cooker control switch,cable size for the cooker, FCU`s for under worktop appliances etc.
Obviously when you inform building control they will ask if any new circuits have gone in and you cant really lie, as your going to be working with new harmonized cable colours and it`s at that point they will ask to see or for you to organise for an inspection and test of the new work.
If you know a spark that is willing to put his/her neck on the line and`trust` you have installed the new circuits in line with BS7671 AND in line with document part P,then your all smiles.
I,personally, NEVER EVER trust anyone enough to sign off their work (unless im carrying out a periodic).

festa said:
Hmmmm......
You all have a very good point of view on this and a lot of the problems start at the design stage I.E ...
Step one :Assessment of general characteristics
I.E what will the particular room in question be used for?.

As the room is a blank canvas it isnt anything,at the moment BUT the circuit design and cable sizes will show it intends to be a kitchen I.E cooker control switch,cable size for the cooker, FCU`s for under worktop appliances etc.
Obviously when you inform building control they will ask if any new circuits have gone in and you cant really lie, as your going to be working with new harmonized cable colours and it`s at that point they will ask to see or for you to organise for an inspection and test of the new work.
If you know a spark that is willing to put his/her neck on the line and`trust` you have installed the new circuits in line with BS7671 AND in line with document part P,then your all smiles.
I,personally, NEVER EVER trust anyone enough to sign off their work (unless im carrying out a periodic).
I didn'tknow such a small question would start a large debate, regarding the building regs, I am aware!, I am carrying the conversion out under a building notice and will require sign off from the building inspector - I am intending doing the bulk of the electrical work myself with a final inspection and sign off from an electrician to satisfy the inspector, I am thinking along the lines of changing the distibution board to a new split load board, to enable the kitchen to be on its own circuits for both lights and sockets, i also dont require a seperate cooker feed as the new cooker operates from a normal 13a supply (gas hob).

I also want to put the Fridge freezer onto its own MCB so in the event of a trip whilst say on holiday the Freezer will continue running and I will not return home to the rotten turkey smell as we once had when the freezer was off for 2 weeks.

I don't think the installation of teh distibution board is something I will tackle myself, as I can't find out how to get to the meter to turn off the supply.

Thanks to everyone (wish me luck). Martin!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back