Plastic white cable capping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do I fix the white capping to a wall?
This will be shielding the electric cable travelling across the walls.
At a later date, plasterboards will be dot and dabbed to this wall.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Clout nails are good for capping, assuming you can hammer them in. The mortar joint is often a place to get nails in.

If the wall is too hard, drill holes, insert red plugs, and hammer the clout nail in.

Sponsored Links
A waste of time and money.
Has no purpose if the walls are boarded.

I take your point, but can prove handy if a cable gets damaged, or you need to move a switch downwards a few inches or whatever - capping has saved the day for me on many occasions.

Is t it helpful to just hold the cable in place and make sure it’s upright and follows the safety zones?
Not really.

It's primary purpose is to protect against damage whilst plastering works are carried out.

Not really.

It's primary purpose is to protect against damage whilst plastering works are carried out.
But just having loose cable under the plasterboard may mean that the cable isn’t going up in a straight line and hence, problematic when you are drilling close to this area and assuming that the cable is travelling directly above the socket. That’s the point I was making

But just having loose cable under the plasterboard may mean that the cable isn’t going up in a straight line and hence, problematic when you are drilling close to this area and assuming that the cable is travelling directly above the socket. That’s the point I was making

You would use cable clips.

Myself, I prefer capping.

For a long time I've preferred to fit conduit for buried cables, it's so much easier for future works.

If you are willing to prime the path it follows with SBR or PVA, you could then spot glue it with a hot melt glue gun. The glue will set in seconds.

What do people prefer instead of capping for cables on the wall - in anticipation of boards being dot and dabbed. I don't really want anything that is going to sit too proud.

Capping is virtually no deeper than a cable clip on the blockwork would be.

You can chase the blockwork out if you like - but that would be pointless.

Capping is ideal for dot and dab because it's very shallow - shallower than the average dot will be.

I found a technique on the web which worked well for me. I drilled out a hole for a wooden dowel piece. Hammered it in and used this as the point to which I hammered in the cable clip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back