cables behind skirtings

Its a building site, surely its the managers responsibility to allow reputable electricians on site
In many cases, price is the only factor, so it's whoever cheapest. They then get exactly what they paid for.

So are electricians that work on new build sites registered with NICEIC etc
Some might be. However basic installation work such as cables may well be done by low paid unskilled persons who just put things where they are told - or wherever they will fit in the absence of proper supervision.

Sponsored Links
Unless the skirting board can be classed as an obvious boxing or trunking, then it's not allowed.

I wonder what the overall structure of the building is to make it 'easier' to run cables like that.

So many new flats have suspended ceilings where the cables can be run above.

I can only imagine maybe the walls are some kind of pre-fabricated affair, since cables have been run in an unorthodox manner.

Send pictures!

I wonder what the overall structure of the building is to make it 'easier' to run cables like that.
Soundproofing boards or kingspan under the floor maybe i'm not too sure? I'm with john and flameport on this, I think its a combination of poor workmanship and being forced to do as they are told, I would imagine any decent electrician worth their salt would tell the designer to take a good **** to themselves, I know I would.

I do genuinely feel for you real electrician who do it properly, It must be frustrating seeing these clowns steal your work.

Sponsored Links
It's fine to be within 50mm of the floor or ceiling if the cables are loose and will move out of the way. Otherwise must be over 50 away.
The regs apply to people who care about regs though, those who don't, don't.

it seems crazy 1st fix could be done do badly on a new build.
Have you not seen any of the recent reports in the news about new build properties with major problems and flagrant contraventions of Building Regulations?

Nothing wrong or dangerous with cables behind skirting boards long as they are laid flat, as in my place.

Unless you missed an important fact such as your skirting boards run along the top of the wall, or the cables are running more than 50mm deep, or the cables in question don't come under bs7671, your installation does not comply with modern regs.

Safe zones don't include the bottom of the wall unless there are accessories at that level

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back