Cabling irregular shaped ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
According to the regs cable routing through joists are 0.25 - 0.4 of the joist length from bearer. This looks logical when your joists are the same length however where the building is triangular and joist different lengths then 0.25 of the length from the bearer is different distances, which then looks illogical.

What is the correct way to route cables through joists that are all different lengths?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Nothing more than it just looks odd, the cables don't run straight parallel to the wall as you would expect with joists that run perpendicular to the wall of the same length. With different lengths of joist the cable tapers from closer to the wall on the smaller joist to further away for the longer ones.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240403_225856_Keep Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20240403_225856_Keep Notes.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 19
Sponsored Links
The CORRECT way would be to use the joist formula on every joist, regardless of how their lengths differ.

The span rules we use are just a quick ready reckoner sort of thing really, if you follow them then you should, in practice, avoid all the pitfalls.
You can, if you wish and have sufficient knowledge, calculate sheer force and bending moments to prove acceptable but if building control has any oversight on the installation then they will want evidence of your calculations in order to check their validity.

I once got involved in a situation whereas I first fixed and took particular care to put the holes and cables exactly within our span limits then had to draw off for a few days whilst a Gove Grant Central Heating System was fitted - They hacked off the joists so close to my holes that , well as a builder put it, "They have butchered the joists", I was doing the rewire via Care and Repair UK and they involved the Local Authority Building Inspector, it was a right hooh har. The heating team`s supervisor came in, examined them and declared them as "perfectly safe", the Building Inspector told the firm he wanted to see their Sheer Force and Bending Moments calculations.

The case dragged on and on and I think the owner got fed up with the hassle of becoming the piggy in the middle and had the flooring relayed.

The saving grace was, as I stated, that the joists were short spans even though this butcher had occurred throughout and I felt there that this would not be a problem, this week, this month or this year but eventually could become a problem a few years down the line.

So, how long are these joists, how thick are they and have the relevant calculations been done to prove/disprove suitability?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back