campsite electrics

Most decent Caravan sites have a 16Amp supply.
JonB

they may have a 16amp socket but if you read any of the camp site forums the amount of people that complain about 6amp supply would tell you different

Sponsored Links
I hope the 11kv overhead is nowhere near any of the pitches!
Sorry but it sounds like a complete lash up - what does the council say re the I&T side of it?

they are quiet happy with the temp. supply and as it is a pre-made system only PAT will be required

cheers

Club Sites typcially have a 16 or 10 amp supply. You are normally limited to only 10 amps as this is typically what the electrical circuit serving the power sockets in your caravan will be limited to. You need to consider what other electrical equipment is being operated at the same time on the same circuit. If the refrigerator and say water heater were being operated at the same time as a microwave, this could be enough to overload the circuit.

The above copied from the Camping & Caravan Club web site.
In my experience the more modern sites do give 16amps if less the warden usually tells you.
JonB

I am shocked by this topic :eek:

I am an electrician and I would not take on a job of this nature.
To DIY this could be lethal to one of your PAYING CUSTOMERS.
You seem almost as bad as a landlord :!:

Sponsored Links
we ran a smaller system this year off a genny,it confirms with all regs ,it is used at 1000s of events per year with no problem

http://www.rubberbox.co.uk/on-the-shelf/index.php

the site is only used 12 weekends per year and has to be removed after rallys

the only difference for next year is it will be on mains and a larger system

hope it makes it easer to understand

cheers

Portable appliance testing is for portable appliances, not for camp site temporary electrical installations for a start.
Running flexes everywhere which can be mixed with tents, cars, caravans, campers etc etc doesn't strike me as a good idea.
What is the extent of the inspection and testing before putting the temporary installation into service?
Is each socket protected by the appropriate sized breaker? Is each socket on it's own all-pole RCD?
Has any thought been given to the size and type of RCDs required for the distribution?
Has any thought gone into the Zs values and overcurrent protection of the distribution?
What is the supply earthing arrangement type?
Who is the duty holder?

There have been many changes to caravan site supplies.
Now each socket has to have it's own RCD (twin pole) and MCB 708.553.1.12 and 708.553.1.13
Socket at height of 0.5 m to 1.5 m 708.553.1.9
Not more than 20m from caravan 708.530.3
And the list goes on. However for a caravan rally section 711 may come into play.

711.6 Inspection and testing
The temporary electrical installations of exhibitions, shows and stands shall be inspected and tested on site in accordance with Chapter 61 after each assembly on site.

This is not PAT testing this is a full blown test.

it confirms with all regs
are you sure it conforms with regs. (I assume a typo error on spelling) I have seen this before. Some guy arrives from council and he is asked "What do you think?" and he answers it looks OK. But the guy is offering a personal comment and has no knowledge or authority to comment on the electrical system on behalf of the council and when some one is injured the HSE are not impressed.

They start asking for details of your professional indemnity insurance and then you realise the what you call it is going to hit the fan.

Council officials are very good at side stepping be very careful.

However for a caravan rally section 711 may come into play.

711.6 Inspection and testing
The temporary electrical installations of exhibitions, shows and stands shall be inspected and tested on site in accordance with Chapter 61 after each assembly on site.

This is not PAT testing this is a full blown test.

thanks that makes more sense

will look into why the sparks said PAT test

so setup Inspection and test and remove after the 12 weeks?

cheers

Running flexes everywhere which can be mixed with tents, cars, caravans, campers etc etc doesn't strike me as a good idea.

cables to distro points is run along fence in cable trays ;)

the sparks where surprized we fitted them as they normally run the cables on the floor

cheers

You need new sparks if they run them anywhere they can be damaged. Still need to consider the design and who's head is on the block if anyone gets a belt.

DNO due tomorrow so should have power by the end of week ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back