Can a socket be put on this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! I have a house I will be renovating in a few months. However I could really do with a socket in my cupboard for the moment.This feeds to my shower, simply put can I put a socket on here safely and easily?

IMG_2068.jpeg
IMG_2069.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I don't know about the legality but you may find it difficult to feed the 2.5mm cable in

Sponsored Links
Sorry, yes I meant difficult to feed in the 2.5mm required for the new spur.
Ah my apologies, I assumed the Op was ditching the shower and planning on just using the supply cable to feed a socket.

Sorry, yes I meant difficult to feed in the 2.5mm required for the new spur.
In essence there is nothing to stop you adding a socket to that circuit. Adding a 2.5mm² solid into a terminal with 6 or 10mm² stranded it not usually a problem as long as there's space for it. You could always pull the current T&E out of the switch and temporarily fit a 60A or bigger junction box.
How about using a cooker switch with a socket?

EDIT: I started writing this before Chivers reply but then the phone rang...

Thanks for the help all. Can you confirm some things then, since my knowledge of electric and sockets is poor. Would I simply take a “spur” off that white box going to a socket with the correct thickness of cable and all is good?

Don’t worry I will be looking into this properly before I tackle or maybe ask someone to tackle it for me.

If you are unsure of your abilities I will encourage you to let someone more competant do the job as this is a high power circuit with probably the most powerful appliance in the house and any poor terminations can potentially have serious outcome.

That said adding a spur of one single or one double 13A socket using 2.5mm² twin and earth cable is acceptable in the situation as long as it easily fits in the terminals with the existing cable.

As mentioned before a cooker switch
AA45CCU.JPG
would be a good way of doing the job. Ironically I did some sorting out at the weekend and a couple of old versions of
MK5011.JPG
went out for the totters.

Is the consumer unit in the same cupboard? Simply spur off the existing socket RCBO there. 2.5mm² cable.
Simples!

PS Why are the lights not on an RCBO, like the rest of the circuits?

Is the consumer unit in the same cupboard? Simply spur off the existing socket RCBO there. 2.5mm² cable.
Simples!

I assumed not so never thought to ask that question:(

I'd assume they were wired under the 16th edition when RCD protection for domestic lighting circuits was not required and often considered undesirable.

These two items are in different cupboards. However the switch here ( for the shower ) doesn't have a socket on, so would it still be acceptable to take a spur of 2.5mm wire off this?

Seems to go against the grain having a 2.5mm2 cable on a 40amp circuit, but I suppose it would take some doing to overload it.

Seems to go against the grain having a 2.5mm2 cable on a 40amp circuit, but I suppose it would take some doing to overload it.
Your supposition is presumably particularly true if its going to a socket [with, inevitably, no greater than a 13A fuse into any plug(s) inserted into the socket] - and, for that reason, also compliant with regs.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back