Can anyone identify this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just removed this from our hallway, prior to replastering, but what it is, remains a mystery. Before I took the lid off, I assumed it was an old doorbell, but it seems a bit over complicated. It's surprisingly heavy and the holes in the base seem to be sealed with something soft, as if there's something embedded in there.

2020-07-30-202451.jpg

KKp5hk4

SmdSnWz

jv5pVzY

2020-07-30-202509.jpg

2020-07-30-203847.jpg
Any clues?
Barry

Sponsored Links
Yep exactly that. I know of one property near me where it is still in service!

If memory serves me the two fuses are removable for replacement.

In theory it is not your property to remove, but I doubt if BT want it now.

Sponsored Links
The only things embedded in the bottom are nuts for the various screws.

These were regularly fitted on phone lines in the days of long pole routes of open wire, so not in any sort of quantity after 50's/early 60's.

They would contain a pair of lightning arresters consisting of 2 blocks of carbon separated by a piece of very thin silk cloth, 2 of those would have been fitted in the 3 brass fittings in the centre. During a strike the fuses on the right would blow and the silk would disintegrate leaving the carbon blocks shorted.
The green things on the left are heat coils, designed to open circuit with prolonged over current.

The grey dropwire will have been fitted later, I'll estimate introduced around early 70's.

If you wish to clean it up as a museum display feel free, otherwise chuck it in the bin as BT will most certainly not be interested.

Thanks all, that's both informative and interesting. It's clearly been redundant for a long time, but I guess no one knew what it was so didn't want to remove it.

Barry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back