can anyone plumb ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i a bit confused !
can anyone plumb ?
I have just passed the bpec water regulations training
It seems to have lots of gray areas & is a little unclear.

I course instructor says that any one can plumb as long as they abide to the regulations. is this correct ?

is much info on this would be great

thanks

Sponsored Links
Before you can do any work which is controlled under the water regulations you have to have the qualification AND register with the local water supplier.

Then you are allowed to self certify controlled work.

Tony

True but when you look closer that's only a certain type of bidet you can't fit and a pump over certain somethingorother, which was such an uninteresting useless zero enforced fact I didn't retain it, and no I didn't bother registering, 'cause I shan't be fiting a bidet.

Sponsored Links
dazzmos said:
i a bit confused !
can anyone plumb ?
What are the symptoms of the plumbing or heating problem that you're trying to solve?

scatmanjohn said:
Softus said:
What are the symptoms of the plumbing or heating problem that you're trying to solve?
Is there an echo in here :LOL:
Change or increase your soft furnishings. Some wall hangings do wonders for reducing the hard edges of the sounds in the room. ;)

dont forget a nice rug!

As far I as am aware there is no register of plumbers and anyone can call themselves a plumber ( like until recently anyone could call themselves a sparks ;) )

as for the water regs, yes you need to be "competent" to change the use of a building, to install a pump with a flow rate greater than 12 litres PM and the infamous bidet (who the feck installs them nowadays???) but they are as toothless and the new building regs so who cares

also special locations !
whats that all about
Cant anyone swap a bathroom without giving notice to the water supplier
Is bpec just another money grabbing scam okèd by the government

Some of those above dont seem to have understood the regulations!

To fit any new supply pipe you have to be registered with the supplier.

If you are registered you can self certify and dont need their inspector to see the pipe in the trench before its filled in.

Tony

If you register that you've done the noddy course you become a Water Industry Approved Plumber, which is a bit of a joke, but if you use business cards (I don't, or I'd be too busy) then it's something you can put on them.

If you install a new supply to a building they'll want to inspect it before approving connection at the road, whether you have the bit of paper or not. In my experience they aren't very bothered about the trench.

If you install an upward-squirting type (only) of bidet and a couple of other obscure things you need to get approval if you aren't registered - meaningless as others have said.

If you swap a bathroom nobody requires to know.

If you install a new sink in a cloakroom you're supposed to tell building control, you always were, but nobody did and even now nobody cares.

Change of Use covers more than plumbing, and can involve Planning and Bldg COntrol depts.

Thats how I think it is anyway!

Agile said:
To fit any new supply pipe you have to be registered with the supplier.
Tony

I beg to differ Tony. There is no requirement whatsoever for somebody to be registered to install a new supply pipe.
Joe public can do it (they don't even need to be a plumber), a builder can do it.

There is also no requirement for anybody to be registered to carry out any plumbing work with regards to potable water as long as it complies with the Regulations. The responsibility for compliance with the Regs is split between:
a) The Commissioner of the works
b) The End User
c) The installer

A DIY'er would be a,b+c. A householder may be a+b, their plumber would be c.
Using a registered or self-cert plumber is a way for everyday people to absolve their responsibility as commissioner/end user because they have sought to comply (and received certification to the fact) with the regs by using a registered plumber (it is then all down to the installer, woe be him who issues certificates fraudulently).

FACT

ok so i think i can swap out a bathroom
but does that need to be self certed (in which case you need to be approved i think !)

is it written any where in black & white & in understandable english.

Thanks for all the interest :D

BoxBasher said:
The responsibility for compliance with the Regs is split between:
a) The Commissioner of the works
b) The End User
c) The installer

A DIY'er would be a,b+c. A householder may be a+b, their plumber would be c.
I'm not clear whether this is your opinion, or whether it's a summary of some regulations somewhere. :confused:

Using a registered or self-cert plumber is a way for everyday people to absolve their responsibility as commissioner/end user because they have sought to comply (and received certification to the fact) with the regs by using a registered plumber...
I don't agree with what this implies, being that a consumer who engages a non-registered plumber has reason to think that he hasn't engaged an expert who will comply with the regulations,

Have you found the distinction written down somewhere?

dazzmos said:
ok so i think i can swap out a bathroom
but does that need to be self certed (in which case you need to be approved i think !)

is it written any where in black & white & in understandable english.

Thanks for all the interest :D

Now you got me thinking. The water regs training is of some value because it teaches us how to do stuff right, but not policed.

However I vaguely remember Corgi trying to tell us we are supposed to pay them even more money to register for such jobs as toilet fitting, they seem quite convinced we should be, but I haven't noticed anyone else getting exited about it, and I haven't joined their water scheme.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back