Can anyone tell me what the dust bag is for?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
15478920758388786669982837341245.jpg

Sponsored Links
It probably collects ( most of ) the fine dust that would otherwise float around in the air to get up your nose and into your eyes. The large dust particles and chips do not float around in the air so can be vacuumed up from the floor.

As per Bernard + it limits the distance the stuff flies out - your sawdust is near your door- mine without a bag went all over my drive

Has anyone ever actually tried using the vacuum cleaner attachment for those (and other brands) ??
I can see that as being even more awkward and just as useless.

Sponsored Links
actually tried using the vacuum cleaner attachment

Yes and it does reduce the amount of cleaning up. But it does require a second person to manage the flexible hose between planer and vacuum.

( recent experience ....planing 4 doors at my daughter's just after Christmas )

Ok thanks. I don't need to slagging Ryobi off then. They make pretty good tools on the whole (for the diyer).

it needs emptying very frequently once its about 1/2 full the chips start building up around the block
only one side off the extraction outlet on the machine should be open so all the chips go in the bag

Last edited:
it needs emptying very frequently once its about 1/2 full the chips start building up around the block
only one side off the extraction outlet on the machine should be open so all the chips go in the bag

Bag was virtually empty.

Doing that inside the house... I take it you are single?

:) House is a building site anyway, there's much worse than that here, plus wife is 280 miles away.

I could be trite and say the dust bag is there so the H&S manager doesn't have a blue fit and write you up..... I don't know how many planers I've owned or used over the years where the chute go jammed if you so much as blinked - Wolf, Elu, Makita, deWalt, Festool. Bosch, etc they can all have problems, depending on the type of wood and the depth of cut. One day someone will invent a planer which doesn't choke..... Just don't hold your breath

to be fair shavings are the least dangerous to the lungs where as dust is the worst
now bags wont stop the ultra fine dust but will reduce the coarser dust to some extent
so whilst looking fairly pointless worth the use even if it only stops a fraction off dust

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back