Can I connect a trailing socket to a fused connection unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. Quick question - I need to connect 6 sockets to an FCU. Is it safe/legal to hardwire a fused 6 gang trailing socket to an FCU? It seems simpler than wiring three separate double wall sockets (or even two triple sockets), and although I know it won't look great, it's going to be concealed behind a false wall anyway. (But still accessible).

Thanks! :)

Sponsored Links
Trailing sockets can be a trip hazard and can also cause stress to cable and terminals.
You could fix the bank of sockets to the wall.
I am not a fan of concealed/hidden outlets

So I wouldn't be breaking any regulations?

It would be securely fixed to the floor, hidden from view, so no danger of anyone tripping over it or yanking it causing damage.

I take your point about concealing power outlets, but it will be easily accessible via an access panel for inspection/maintenance. No different from concealing the socket for a dishwasher in the next cupboard I wouldn't have thought.

Thanks.

Providing the trailing socket is connected to the load side of the FCU, then perfectly safe, if you do have an access panel I would suggest labeling it and when sockets not in use, islolate the FCU

Sponsored Links
For those who feel that they must be strictly compliant with regulations (which currently say, at least until next year, that one must follow manufacturers' instructions) .... the MIs for great majority of trailing multisockets I've seen say explicitly that they should not be hardwired. I imagine that's primarily to ensure that they have at least 13A fuse protection in a plug. Whilst the spirit of that is maintained if one uses an FCU, I don't recall having seen any instructions which made an exception to the 'do not hardwire' instruction in the presence of an FCU.

Kind Regards, John

That's a good point - thanks. As I'd prefer to do it all above board, I think I'll just use proper wall sockets instead.

If I connect, say, two double sockets to the fcu, how is the wiring for that meant to be done? Is it like this:

So, in socket one, there would be two of each earth, live and neutral wires in each terminal?

Thanks.

Using your six gang is fine and means less wiring for you and therefore less to go wrong. Personally I'd go with your original plan.

Using your six gang is fine and means less wiring for you and therefore less to go wrong. Personally I'd go with your original plan.
That's very reasonable advice (provided one uses a reputable brand of 6-gang extension lead, and not one of the lethal eBay imports recently discussed here). As I said, my comments were only "for those who feel that they must be strictly compliant with regulations" - who have a right to know what the regulations are.

Simply changing the FCU to a single socket and 'plugging in' the extension lead/sockets would, of course, maintain strict compliance with MIs, hence regs - but might not be aesthetically acceptable.

Andromedus: if several of the things you need to plug in are plug-in power supplies (aka 'wallwarts'), rather than just plugs, bear in mind that it can sometimes be difficult to get two of them side-by-side in one of these multiple sockets, simply because of physical space.

Kind Regards, John

Ok - thanks guys. I'll go with the 6 gang then and try to make sure it's a good quality one.

Thanks for the tip about physical plug space - I'll double check that everything will fit.

Ok - thanks guys. I'll go with the 6 gang then and try to make sure it's a good quality one. Thanks for the tip about physical plug space - I'll double check that everything will fit.
You're welcome. If you haven't already read it, you might want to click here to read about the horrors of some of the'not good quality' 6-way extensions!

Kind Regards, John

Ooh - that looks nasty. Can I ask if you think this one is appropriate? It's fused and rewireable (it was actually quite tricky finding any of these):http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/produ...le-_-6963623&gclid=CPvzjaDA-b8CFVIPtAod6QcAsg
Unfortunately, it's impossible to tell from an advert or listing. Going for well-known (Western) branded products is probably the best bet - and certainly steering away from anything which is even remotely 'cheap'.

Having a fuse in the socket strip itself is not really required - there will be a fuse in the plug (or, probably, FCU in your case).

Kind Regards, John

Thanks - I'll look out for Olson.

I figured that having a fuse in the socket strip would protect the cable running from the socket strip to the fcu. Theoretically, without that fuse, that cable could carrying a current of 6x13 Amps for a split second before the fuse in the fcu blows or the circuit breaker trips, no?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back