Can I connect a trailing socket to a fused connection unit?

I figured that having a fuse in the socket strip would protect the cable running from the socket strip to the fcu. Theoretically, without that fuse, that cable could carrying a current of 6x13 Amps for a split second before the fuse in the fcu blows or the circuit breaker trips, no?
Well, exactly the same current (6 x 13A, or whatever) would necessarily flow through both the fuses, so there's no telling which (or both) would blow first. Either way, the circuit would be interrupted, and the cable hence spared the excessive current, equally quickly.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
That's a good point - thanks. As I'd prefer to do it all above board, I think I'll just use proper wall sockets instead.
What's the application, what sort of room is it?

Have you considered dado/perimeter trunking?

It's in the living room, for AV equipment in a new tv wall I'm building, with all cabling to be concealed. There is an existing cable (intended for an electric fire) connected to an fcu, and it is this cable which I intend to connect to a six gang socket for the tv, satellite box, low voltage led lighting etc. The total power rating of all the equipment is low enough that it won't draw more than a few Amps, certainly less than 13.

a six gang socket for the tv, satellite box, low voltage led lighting etc.
4 socket outlets enough?

3135FVV1XVL.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yep, that's the plan. The false wall will have an alcove underneath the tv for the AV equipment, and the cables will pass from the equipment, through a brush plate at the back of the alcove and onto wherever they need to connect to inside the wall, whether that be the power sockets, the tv or the speakers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back