Can i cut cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a POE security camera.

It comes with three inputs

Ethernet connection
DC connection and something else

I only need the ethernet cable connection. Subsequently, i wanted to ask whether the camera will still operate if i cut the other two cables?

Attachments

• IMG_20230505_125730167.jpg
    IMG_20230505_125730167.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 60
Sponsored Links
They are only very short connections, and if you cut them you will then need to terminate them securely, so what do you gain? I would leave the extra leads intact. You could tape them back, or maybe cover with heatshrink if you feel they are unsightly? I would guess the third connector is for an audio in/out? You might decide at a later date you want to use that. I have also found that its not that difficult to overload the cheaper varieties of PoE switch, so again for future use I would certainly leave the DC intact. If its externally mounted, you'll likely need a waterproof junction box, and the spare cables will fit in that to keep it looking tidy (though check before mounting - it can be a bit of a squeeze).

The camera will still operate but it could cause problems if any of the wires touch. I wouldn't do it.
If you use a proper mounting box then there will be room to hide the wires in there.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back