Can I fit an unvented cylinder...

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Goldspoon

I paid £175 and did the 1 day BPEC unvented course.

I now have a plastic card with my pic on it that says unvented hot water storage systems.

Can I now fit an unvented without informing building control?

The reason I ask is that the letter that came with it says I <must?> also join a competent persons scheme. Presumably this will cost me? I am struggling to find out who operates such a scheme...

Sponsored Links
You are now qualified to fit an unvented cylinder.

However, fitting one requires notification to BC.

You can notify them directly ( charges may apply ).

Or you can notify them through a competent persons scheme. Some/most/all will charge you for membership.

Tony

Thanks Agile.

Does this mean that somebody who has not undertaken the course cannot fit one, even if they notify building control? In other words building control will say "where's your ticket... not got one... you cannot fit an unvented so do not do it..."

Thanks Agile.

Does this mean that somebody who has not undertaken the course cannot fit one, even if they notify building control? In other words building control will say "where's your ticket... not got one... you cannot fit an unvented so do not do it..."

Correct, No, G3 ticket, you can't touch unvented cylinders, or some of the larger store boilers.

Sponsored Links
and...

I don't have to pay Building Control... cool

From my local building control website:
Some submissions do not attract a charge. These are:

Installation of an approved un-vented hot water system where the work is carried out by an approved operative or is part of a larger project.

Well if true that takes the P**S! I have to pay Gas Safe or Oftec for each notifiation i make :eek:

Well if true that takes the P**S! I have to pay Gas Safe or Oftec for each notifiation i make :eek:

The suits have to make a living to ,so why not do it off the backs of hard working installers who are easily parted with their money.
Myself the last UV I installed will be signed off by a mate. Its not what you know, but WHO you know that counts.

Not all BCs will say they will make no charge but I have not heard of any that do yet.

Frankly its easier to do it on the web via GS than making up a letter and posting it to the local BC.

I am surprised you did not learn all this on your course! Perhaps thats why mine took 3.5 days ?

Tony

I'm curious about this - which law defines who is allowed to install, or work on, or touch, a hot water storage vessel which does not incorporate a vent pipe to the atmosphere?

Edit: I don't think there is one.

I can't find section 5.1.1 in The Building Regulations.

Moreover, the word "unvented" doesn't appear in the BRs. :rolleyes:

And I see very little point in even visiting the web site of a company that merely has an opinion on the interpretation of the BRs.

What I'm actually looking for is someone who actually knows which law specifically defines what class of persons can, and/or who cannot, legally install, touch, fix, maintain, or otherwise interfere with, unvented hot water storage vessels.

In default of anyone actually knowing, I'm going to conclude that there is no such law, and that anyone who's competent is therefore allowed to work on them (the vessels).

Building Regulation Part G :rolleyes:

You can roll your eyes as much as you like, but what you've referred to there is "Approved Document G", NOT the Building Regulations.

Part G of the [real] BRs doesn't define competence, nor does it require an unvented installer to be accredited, so, unless you know of some other legislation that does, anyone can install a unvented hot storage vessel as long as they're competent.

Whether you like it or not, Part G is an Approved document of the building regulation :rolleyes:

Just completed my unvented last week(again) And you DO need to be approved and it is in the Building Regs stating this and also stating that Building control and Local authority must be informed when one is fitted!
Am scanning the regs just now and will upload the relevent pages in a minute or 2

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back