Can I fit an unvented cylinder...

Status
Not open for further replies.
sc002ac828.jpg

sc002af32e.jpg

Sponsored Links
Here Sham, where did you do the course mate, Ideal? MacDonald engineering were doing the course for about a ton but they're in Kirkcaldy, Fife.

Pretty quiet at the moment so looking to do something constructive, need to go on a WB CDi servicing course too if anyone knows where (preferably somewhere in Scotland) and how much I would appreciate the info.

Thanks.

Tony.

and that anyone who's competent is therefore allowed to work on them (the vessels).

Yes , as long as you are competent then you can install them.
Part a of G3 states ... has been installed by a competent person

I fill my name in the installer section of the logbook and my commissioning engineer fills in his section along with his registration details.
All hunky dory and BC has no problems with this.
After all, why would you let an inexperienced engineer install such a device?

Sponsored Links
Part G is an Approved document of the building regulation :rolleyes:
You can continue to roll your eyes as much as you like, but it isn't.

Part G is a section within The Building Regulations. It is the law.

Approved Document G is a guidance note. Nothing more. If you read the beginning of it, it says this:

Approved Documents are intended to provide guidance for some of the more common building situations. However, there may well be alternative ways of achieving compliance with the requirements. Thus there is no obligation to adopt any particular solution contained in an Approved Document if you prefer to meet the relevant requirement in some other way.

if you prefer to meet the relevant requirement in some other way

And just how do you intend to get around G3. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As I said whether you like it, want an argument, or just too thick to understand, you need G3 ticket to install and work on unvented cylinders.

It's the LAW.

And just how do you intend to get around G3.
G3 says this:

A hot water storage system that has a hot
water storage vessel which does not incorporate
a vent pipe to the atmosphere shall be installed
by a person competent to do so, and there shall
be precautions—

(a) to prevent the temperature of stored water at
any time exceeding 100°C; and

(b) to ensure that the hot water discharged from
safety devices is safely conveyed to where it is
visible but will not cause danger to persons in
or about the building.

Or, just in case you meant section 13.4 instead of G3, it says this:

Where building work involves the provision of a hot water storage system in relation to
which paragraph G3 of Schedule 1 (hot water storage) imposes a requirement, a building notice
shall be accompanied by a statement which specifies—

(a) the name, make, model and type of hot water storage system to be installed;

(b) the name of the body, if any, which has approved or certified that the system is capable of
performing in a way which satisfies the requirements of paragraph G3 of Schedule 1;

(c) the name of the body, if any, which has issued any current registered operative identity
card to the installer or proposed installer of the system.

If the Building Regulations (see above) don't say that you need a "ticket" (whatever you think that means), then you don't need one.

I suspect what's confusing you is that you've been told (by someone you gave some money to) that you need a "G3 ticket", and you're having trouble accepting that someone can be competent without paying the money that you did.

(c) the name of the body, if any, which has issued any current registered operative identity
card to the installer or proposed installer of the system
.[/i][/color]

Goldberg, if you are too mean to pay your £165 to get the relevant Certificate to work on an unvented cylinder then how will you meet the requirements quoted above?

To become a registered operative you need to have the relevant certificate. How do you propose to get round that?

I also wonder why you think that you are competent when you have not received the training? Were you born with the knowledge already in place? Or did you get taught it in the kindergarten?

Tony

then how will you meet the requirements quoted above?
I can't find any part of the requirements which says that a training certificate is mandatory.

To become a registered operative you need to have the relevant certificate.
I can't find any part of any legislation that requires anyone to be a "registered operative".

I also wonder why you think that you are competent when you have not received the training?
Well, you can stop wondering, because I didn't say that I'm competent, or that I'm not competent, or that I've received the training, or that I've not received the training.

What I wrote was this:

which law defines who is allowed to install, or work on, or touch, a hot water storage vessel which does not incorporate a vent pipe to the atmosphere?

Edit: I don't think there is one.
With one exception (Norcon) all we have here is a collection of people who roll their eyes, make sarcastic and personal comments, and quote documents that aren't the law. If that's the result of becoming a "registered operative", then your attitude is more shameful than the cowboy installers that you're competing with - at least they don't try to fool themselves that they're knowledgable.

Well if you want to follow that "logic" then I presume that you will drive on the right ( in the UK ) just because there is no "law" that says you have to drive on the left ?

Well if you want to follow that "logic" then I presume that you will drive on the right ( in the UK ) just because there is no "law" that says you have to drive on the left ?

You are allowed to drive on the right. You have do so competently (e.g. overtaking).

I understand what Goldberg says. It is possible that, if one fitted an unvented cylinder and there are no faults then there is no law broken. If somebody thinks he has broken a law then what is the law? His arguments are clear and lucid and he makes good points.

With regard to how might one become competent without doing the course well that one is easy - one can research the subject or spend time with another operative etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back