can I replace expansion vessel at rear of boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening ,

The expansion vessel is ****ing water , wont hold pressure , its one of those pain in the backside ones that are round like a steering wheel and on the back of a ferroli 901 ,
I can see how it all plumbs in and can buy a new one for £50 , however can this be removed without taking it off the wall , knowing my luck it cant ,
I can fit an external one for about the same price , however looks a bit messy.

Any advice would be appreciated ,

Thanks

Neil

Sponsored Links
A photo might be useful, we don’t know where the flue is located, whether there is access or not.

Don't think that one comes out the top so no not easy, it's probably a boiler off the wall to replace jobby.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Don't often recommend replacing working boilers but with that one I'd make an exception. Take it off the wall and fit something better

I agree with all comments, its a brick , its expensive to run and needs tipping , however im skint due to redundancy ,
ive looked at similar (worcester) and it looks as if expansion vessel can be lifted from the back with flue and bracket removed (if i go ahead I wont be doing that part) , I have thought about external expansion however boiler is in a bedroom literally about a foot off the ground so external will need to be on bedroom wall and will obviously look like one of Doc Browns science experiments , however is doable. looks as if replacement would actually be easier but would need someone to remove/replace flue , Ive heard if flue was going directly up into ceiling this could be changed in about 30 mins ! , annoying.

If you have a radiator that you dont need on , in say a spare room or hall or somewhere, drain the rad and leave one valve open and dont bleed it when refilling, it will act as an expansion vessel but if you bleed it in the future it wont

Thanks I'll bear all that in mind, one final question, can you get flat external vessels?, there is a gap between the boiler and the wall that one would fit nicely in rather that the massive red tank that looks like it should be bobbing about it the sea.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thanks I'll bear all that in mind, one final question, can you get flat external vessels?, there is a gap between the boiler and the wall that one would fit nicely in rather that the massive red tank that looks like it should be bobbing about it the sea.
Donut shape??.

life-bouy-250x250.jpg

I've got all the bits now for an external, but Im not really happy about cutting into the copper pipe , can I put a t compression joint at either of these points? I'm not sure where the return is, is it likely to be at either of these points? picture on left obviously from main pipe picture on left into the boiler from loop

Attachments

• DSC_0272~2.JPG
    DSC_0272~2.JPG
    273.1 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0271~2.JPG
    DSC_0271~2.JPG
    213.7 KB · Views: 36
I've got all the bits now for an external, but Im not really happy about cutting into the copper pipe , can I put a t compression joint at either of these points? I'm not sure where the return is, is it likely to be at either of these points? picture on left obviously from main pipe picture on left into the boiler from loop
Can’t on one as it looks like it’s the cold main in for the hot water, well you could, but it won’t solve your issue :LOL: . The one near the 22mm pipe seems better choice, however do it after the filling loop valve.

I've had a better look, they are actually labelled, cold water in (tap) hot water out (tap) there's another 2 with a radiator symbol, one red, one blue, I turned the heating on and the red one got hot well before the blue so I'm assuming the blue is the return seems to go to the pump, does this sound right, looks like I will need to cut into it after all as the loop is attached to the feed not the return.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back