Can I screw/attach 1kg weight into vinyl fascia?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I want to install a wifi camera (~1kg) outdoor attaching it to a vinyl fascia.
Can I screw into the fascia and what's behind it - is there wooden board or just empty space?

I assume that vinyl walls are only ~2-3mm thick, so unless there is something screwable behind the plastic walls - there maybe nothing for the screws to hold to.

Thanks

IMG_2116.JPG

Sponsored Links
There will likely be nothing behind, between the gutter brackets, but cameras are not heavy. Best to use two stainless self tappers, with course threads. Two needed to stop the camera swivelling around on one. Drill the pilot hole no bigger than absolutely essential to start the screws, for strongest fixing.

Your estimate of weight for a wi-fi camera is way off.

My wireless burglar alarm sounder is bolted to my facia using a couple of spring loaded plasterboard fittings

There will likely be nothing behind, between the gutter brackets, but cameras are not heavy. Best to use two stainless self tappers, with course threads.
Will use self-tappers - M4, 25-30mm enough I guess? The facia feel quite solid when I knock on it, so if nothing behind the vinyl must be reasonably thick. The camera mount is circular with 3 holes, thus 3 screws.

Sponsored Links
Will use self-tappers - M4, 25-30mm enough I guess? The facia feel quite solid when I knock on it, so if nothing behind the vinyl must be reasonably thick. The camera mount is circular with 3 holes, thus 3 screws.

Good enough. The facia is an expanded plastic, around 6 or 7mm thick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back