Can I still get 100w bulbs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a old a Anglepoise Lamp that I use as a reading light. The bulb went. As it is for reading I would need a bright one. It says on it 100w Max. Is it still possibe to get these or what would be the modern equivalent? Its bayonet fit bulb. I am in the U.K. it stands on the floor. Its very tall to put on a desk

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Very roughly, 13W LED is equivalent to a 100W old-fashioned filament bulb. So any LED bayonet (B22 or BC) bulb will be just fine. Cold or Day white may be better than Warm white for a desk, but this is down to opinion - some people like the Warm White colour, I just think it looks like yellow.

There's no advantage to a filament bulb, they turn almost all the power into heat rather than light. Might keep your desk a bit warmer, so good in winter but horrible in summer.

Sponsored Links
pop into your local poundland. you will be surprised just how good modern led bulbs are and you will probably find that a 100w (13W led) equivalent is too bright. I am using some bulbs in table lamps from toolstation that are 2.1W led and they are fine

I find direction is the big problem with old standard lamps, LED in the main shine away from the base, but there are LED filament bulbs which do have same spread of light to tungsten bulbs.

I have some packs with mixture of 40, 60, 100 watt peral bulbs still, but reason I have them is I don't use them.

Anyone who isn't yet familiar with the concept of replacing filament with LED bulbs needs to wake up, replace them all and will save a big chunk of their electricity bill.

Anyone who isn't yet familiar with the concept of replacing filament with LED bulbs needs to wake up, replace them all and will save a big chunk of their electricity bill.
It is not that stright forward, I remember when I changed to CFL's before the LED became the bulb to use, and the first thing I noticed was being cold watching TV in the evening.

The tungsten bulb gives out inferred heat, so turning them on makes one feel warmer without increasing air temperature, so I also had to change the thermostat to a programmable one.

So energy wise not sure if the tungsten bulb overall saves energy or not, however if not using electric for heating the LED does save money.

I would use LED as maintenance is a lot less, and can also use smart versions. However to make a sweeping statement about LED reducing the electric Bill's can't be made without knowing all the facts.

I am annoyed at being forced to stop using fluorescent lamps, which use same amount of energy as LED, but for some reason goverment is forcing the issue so no option.

It is not that stright forward, I remember when I changed to CFL's before the LED became the bulb to use, and the first thing I noticed was being cold watching TV in the evening. .... The tungsten bulb gives out inferred heat, so turning them on makes one feel warmer without increasing air temperature, so I also had to change the thermostat to a programmable one.
We've been through this before.

If one really believed that the amount of IR radiated downwards from, say, a 100W incandescent bulb (which is quite probably a lot less than you think) was enough to make the difference between people feeling cold and feeling comfortable, then the purveyors of snake oil might actually have some valid points :)
So energy wise not sure if the tungsten bulb overall saves energy or not ...
Even if your theory were correct, LEDs would 'save energy' (as well as cost) at times of day/year when heating was not required (sometimes not desirable).

Kind Regards, John

I find direction is the big problem with old standard lamps, LED in the main shine away from the base, but there are LED filament bulbs which do have same spread of light to tungsten bulbs. ...
.... as, to a substantial extent, do some non-filament LEDs with certain shapes of 'frosted' envelopes.

Kind Regards, John

the amount of IR radiated downwards from, say, a 100W incandescent bulb (which is quite probably a lot less than you think)
Best case at 2m distance from a 100W incandescent lamp, it's 2 watts per m². An imperceptible amount.

In reality it's far less due to items such as lampshades and clothing.

Best case at 2m distance from a 100W incandescent lamp, it's 2 watts per m². An imperceptible amount. .... In reality it's far less due to items such as lampshades and clothing.
Thanks. The actual figure will obviously depend a lot on all sorts of factors but, as I implied, I imagined that it would probably be pretty low, probably too low to be particularly noticeable.

Having said that, some things sold as ceiling-mounted IR heaters are as low as about 400W but I imagine that (unlike incandescent bulbs) they are designed to maximise IR output

Kind Regards, John

Theatres very quickly discovered the lack of heat from stage lights meant using the heating system and some even reckon the additional heating energy costs exceeded the energy savings of LED lights, oh and don't forget the cost of LED stage lights means they are unlikely to ever to break even on there cost saving exercise.
Domestic situations are somewhat better than that but it is easy to not take everything into account, or for that matter take too much into account.

Years ago I had a quote for PV panels and part of the 'government approved' costing was to allow for the replacement of all bulbs to CFL (in those days) and the calculated energy cost savings was presented in a very much "Ta - Daa" way. Ignoring the PV part of the costing the document showed the lighting energy saving alone was going to be more than we had ever paid for the whole bill.

Theatres very quickly discovered the lack of heat from stage lights meant using the heating system and some even reckon the additional heating energy costs exceeded the energy savings of LED lights,
Maybe, but that's obviously a totally different world from the domestic one.

Roughly what sort of total wattage (LED and/or incandescent) of lighting are you talking about?

Mind you, even in the theatres, although there might have been no net energy saving as a result of changing to LEDs, there would obviously be potential for an appreciable cost saving to be had if they had a cheaper alternative to electricity available for heating.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back