Can I turn gas mains off to disconnect a gas hob?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok - don't flame me...only asking...if it would be really bad?
Renovating house...need to rip out kitchen for electricians...and being held up because I have old gas hob (no isolator) and the plumber I would use is on hols...has been away this week - but it could be for 2 weeks
Unoccupied house - don't really need a gas supply at moment...
Thought I could turn gas off at meter (in outside box) and then disconnect the hob at a compression joint ...
and leave gas off until I can get the plumber out to put a proper isolator on it/make it safe etc ...

(out of interest if it had an isolator on it would it have been illegal for me to turn it off there to disconnect?)

Sponsored Links
Your last aside question is irrelevant in the context of the first; which the only answers are...questions

Do you now what tests to carry put before and afterwards?

Do you have the equipment to do those tests?

Do you know what fittings to have to hand for leaving the system afterwards?

If ANY of these questions result in you not knowing; then the answer is, NO you can not legally do it. Get another gas registered plumber.

Simple point - you definitely can't rely on the meter valve shutting off 100%. So it's NO all the way.

Sponsored Links
So it is really that bad... :oops:
If he isn't back by Monday I will have to get someone else otherwise will have to delay electricians...
(can't get more than a third of the units out because of it and it must have had a freestanding oven at some point - I can see wall tiles behind the unit that I know are pigs to get off and will need wires behind and I can't finish lifting floor cos units are on top)

I'm scared of gas - and always thought if there was a leak or anything if you turned off at the meter then you isolated the house...until transco or whoever could get to you ...

(current house has a meter in a cupboard under the stairs with lead (? looking) feed pipes - they kept getting bumped and banged and I was always frightened they would get damaged (until I got round to boxing it in recently) - only thing that made me feel safe was that if they did get damaged I could easily switch it off...)

Its not that bad - it is 20 minutes work and less than a fiver in materials.

But there are some basic tests that you have to do before and after the job. The law says you have to be competent to do the work.

So, if you don't know the tests, or have the basic equipment then you are not competent.

Its not that bad - it is 20 minutes work and less than a fiver in materials.

But there are some basic tests that you have to do before and after the job. The law says you have to be competent to do the work.

So, if you don't know the tests, or have the basic equipment then you are not competent.

what kind of stuff do you have in your kitchen, i dont think i have stuff in my kitchen to test gas

Sorry...but actually very useful to know that turning off at the meter might not isolate the house...my thinking was that if no gas could get into the house (off at mains) it might not be really gas work anymore...
It was very tempting... and now I know better than doing it....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back