Can I use sealant and No More Nails on this instead of grout and adhesive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting a piece of wood across the top of the bath and a new bath side.

I want to tile the top of the wood (see pic)

IMG_8888.JPG

I'm going to put a bit of trim on the outside edge.

I wondered if I could just use No More Nails to stick the tiles down and then fill the gaps with Bathroom Sealant rather than using grout?

The reason for the No More Nails is that I have a new tube. And I thought sealant would be easier to work with in the small gaps.

Because it's such a small area (just about 8 tiles) I thought it would be ok but wondered if there's something I've not thought of that would mean it was a bad idea?

Appreciate your expert advice on this.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. I'm not using it just because I have a tube of it. I just don't think there's enough area on the wood for the adhesive to really do it's job. Hence the No More Nails. Plus I'll never need to get the tiles up as the wood would just get thrown away if I was re-doing the bathroom.

Nice to know that the sealant and glue would work fine though. Thanks :)

Expect to get more sealant on the tiles than you anticipated.

I'd recommend getting some decorator's wipes and a silicone tool

NB. I am not recommending particular brands or sites, they were first I came across when I googled them. Shop around.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info and the links. Much appreciated. I'd never heard of a silicone profiling tool before. I normally just wet my finger and use that! :)

Thanks for the info and the links. Much appreciated. I'd never heard of a silicone profiling tool before. I normally just wet my finger and use that! :)

At a minimum, rather than using spit, add a little bit of washing up liquid to water, and then dip your finger in that. The silicone won't stick to your finger and you don't have to worry about the bacteria in your spit causing mold.

Although Foxhole strikes me as being on the money in most of his responses, I think your solution will be fine. That said, I would be tempted to use silicone as both the sealant and adhesive given that you are using ceramic and not natural (read: Porous) tiles.

opps, thanks again for all your advice. It's great advice about the washing up liquid. Will certainly be doing that in the future. Cheers :)

Thanks PrenticeBoy. I've completed the job now (see piccy) just need to clean the tiles off etc. Wife is very happy so a big thanks to you all for helping with that.... on to the next job! :)

IMG_8903.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back