Can these dusk till dawn photocell sensors be adjusted?

Sponsored Links
Hi all, I've received the new timer based photocell and wondered if someone could help me with the wiring?

The current dusk till dawn has black, brown, grey and earth wires and this is what I will be attaching. Can someone please explain how I should wire this?

IMG_4837.JPG

Many thanks,

Devs.

You should wire the incoming L & N to the rightmost and leftmost terminals, and the outgoing L to the 2nd from right.

Only you can tell which cores are used for which in your cable - nobody here can do that.

Hello mate and many thanks for the reply. Greatly appreciated!

Can I just clarify that I'm right with the following per the diagram and available wires...

1 (N) Grey
2 (N)
3 (L) Black
4 (L) Brown

Thanks,

Devs.

Sponsored Links
Is there any other info that I can provide you with and how? Thanks

Unless you have a multimeter with which you can determine the function of each wire, then, at the very least, we would need to see the connections at the other end of the cable.

Is there a switch controlling the light?

Thanks very much, I do have a meter thats been very rarely used so if you have the patience to explain what I need to do I will gladly follow. I will also provide photos of what I can see tomorrow morning when light.

There is no switch controlling the light.

Many thanks,

Devs.

The old one fits a Nemo socket , the connections on it are marked
Li for live in
Lo for live out
N for neutral.
If you note what colours are on what and match it with what Ban all Sheds wrote, then you should be ok

Perfect, many thanks for that I'll take another look in the morning. ;)

Okay I've just had another look at this and below you will see how the existing wires were connected and how I have connected them into the new unit.

As far as I can tell this is correct and have masked off the sensor to try and trigger the light but it didn't work :(

Any suggestions chaps?

Thanks.
IMG_4869.JPG
IMG_4867.JPG
IMG_4865.JPG
IMG_4866.JPG
IMG_4864.JPG

I don't want to be mean, but -
why do you think there are four connections on the timer if it would work with only three?

Plus, you haven't even followed the diagram with the three wires that you do have.

I cannot follow the layout.
Where are the two ends of the Brown,Black,Grey cable?

I don't want to be mean, but -
why do you think there are four connections on the timer if it would work with only three?
It will work without using it to switch the N as well as L.

Plus, you haven't even followed the diagram with the three wires that you do have.
L and SL look OK.

I wonder which N terminal the black wire goes to?

Where are the two ends of the Brown,Black,Grey cable?
We're only seeing one end - when it was in the old switch and now when it is in the new.

The other end must be in a light fitting/rose/JB somewhere where it gets L&N and returns SL.

As to why it's not working, possible reasons include:

• Wired wrongly
  • Broken
  • White tape not simulating darkness
  • Light itself not working
  • No supply
  • Cable fault

As ever, going back to basics and positively identifying conductor function and continuity and the presence of power is the way to proceed.

What am I missing?

He has wired the timer with the suppy cable but has no cable going to the light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back